Go to "Camera Lucida, Lithographs, and Site Documentation in the 1840s"
Frederick Catherwood’s Cities of the Maya
Frederick Catherwood, English architect, illustrator, and adventurer, accompanied John Lloyd Stephens across Central America to explore and document Maya ruins (1839-1840 and 1841-1842). In this exhibit we revisit some of his works and compare them to images from our archives. Note the site changes over time from excavations, reconstruction, and tourism; and see the influence of Catherwood’s ideas and methodologies in modern archaeology.
- Camera Lucida, Lithographs, and Site Documentation in the 1840s
- Political Climate and Reception in Central America
- Copán, Honduras (1839-1840)
- Quiriguá, Guatemala (1839-1840)
- Palenque, México (1839-1840)
- Uxmal, México (1839-1840 and 1841-1842)
- Labná, México (1841-1842)
- Chichén Itzá, México (1841-1842)
- Tulum, México (1841-1842)
- Colouring Book