- Contact Us
ALERT - Urgent Scheduled Power Outage on Burnaby Campus Dec. 22
Update as of Dec. 22, 6:00 p.m.
Scheduled repairs are complete and power is now restored across SFU's Burnaby Campus. In-person university services and campus activities will resume tomorrow, Dec. 23rd. Thank you for your patience during this time.
On Wed, Dec. 22nd, the power will be shut off at all SFU Burnaby campus buildings between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. with the following exceptions: UniverCity residences, animal care facilities, Discovery 1 & 2 and the Water Tower building. This scheduled power outage is required to address recent snow-related damage to critical BC Hydro power lines.
All affected Burnaby campus buildings, including the library and Lorne Davies Sports Complex, will be closed to in-person university services and campus activities during this time. The SFU Childcare Society will be closed on the west side of campus, with only the following programs open on the UniverCity east side: Verdant IT program, UniverCity Childcare and the School Age program based in University Highlands Elementary.
All online SFU services and platforms (including SFU websites, Mail, Zoom, goSFU, Canvas, VPN, FINS and myINFO) will function normally during the outage. Desk phones and office computers will not be available until after work is complete.
How to prepare
- If you are an employee affected by this power outage, please connect with your supervisor around making arrangements to work remotely on Dec. 22.
- If you are working in an area that will require power during this time and is not currently on a generator—for example, freezers containing research materials—contact Brent Heard, manager, electrical trades at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible so he can make arrangements for power to your area.
- Desktop computers will not be available to access remotely, affecting some employees’ ability to work remotely.
- Lab occupants should be advised that there will be absolutely no access to the laboratory and/or building on the day of the planned outage as laboratory ventilation (including fumehoods) will not be operational and there is a potential for vapours to accumulate. See more laboratory power outage guidelines here.
- Remove all perishable food items from refrigerators.
If you have any questions about the outage, please contact Brent Heard. Thank you for your patience during this time.