- About Us
- News & Events
Gloria Gutman, PhD, developed the Gerontology Research Centre and Department of Gerontology at Simon Fraser University (SFU) and was Director of both from 1982–2005. She is currently a Research Associate and Professor Emerita at SFU. Dr. Gutman is the author/editor of 23 books, the most recent (with Andrew Sixsmith) being titled Technologies for Active Aging (Springer, 2013). During her career, Dr. Gutman has held a number of high profile roles including two terms as President of the Canadian Association on Gerontology, President of the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics, and President of the International Network for Prevention of Elder Abuse. Currently, she is President of the North American chapter of the International Society for Gerontechnology, Vice-President of the International Longevity Centre-Canada, and a member of the Research Management Committee of the Canadian Frailty Network (CFN-NCE). Previously she served on the World Economic Forum’s Council on the Ageing Society, World Health Organization’s Expert Advisory Panel on Aging and Health, and the CIHR-Institute of Aging Advisory Board. In 2007 she was awarded the Order of British Columbia and in 2010 an LLD (honoris causa) by the University of Western Ontario for her work “as an international authority in the field of gerontology” and was named one of Canada’s “best 45 over 45” by Zoomer Magazine. In 2012, she was awarded a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal by the Government of Canada, and in 2016, she was appointed to the Order of Canada, the country’s highest civilian honour.
- PhD (Developmental and Social Psychology), University of British Columbia
- MA (Psychology of Aging), University of Alberta
- BA (Psychology and English), University of British Columbia
Senior’s housing; long-term care; health promotion; elder abuse; gerontechnology; LGBT aging; age-friendly hospitals and communities; seniors and emergency preparedness; increasing advance care planning in marginalized groups and ethnic minorities
- Robson, C., Gutman, G., Marchbank, J. & Blair, K. (2018). Raising awareness and addressing elder abuse in the LGBT community: An intergenerational arts program. Special issue: Equity in Digital Literacies: Issues of Access, Ethics and Engagement, Language and Literacy, 20(3)46-66 https://doi.org/10.20360/langandlit29408
- Gahagan, J., Humble, A., Gutman, G. & de Vries, B. (2018). Older LGBT adults’ end-of-life conversations: Findings from Nova Scotia. Atlantis: Critical Studies in Gender, Culture & Social Justice, 39(1) 31-40.