Membership in the Institute for Performance Studies is by application to the Director and the Steering Committee, who may also recruit members to apply. There are five categories of membership:
- Faculty Members: SFU CFL actively teaching and conducting research in Performance Studies.
- Associate Members: Contract faculty at SFU and faculty from other postsecondary institutions in British Columbia teaching and researching in Performance Studies.
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Fellows: Doctoral and early career scholars conducting research in Performance Studies at SFU.
- Visiting Members: Scholars from outside British Columbia conducting Performance Studies research while on leave or secondment to SFU.
- Community Members: Artists, writers, curators, policy makers, cultural producers, and community workers engaged in performance practice, policy and research.