- About Joy
- Statement on academic freedom
- Welcome back faculty and staff
- Welcome back students
- Statement on scholar strike
- Reflections on my first 30 days
- Taking care of ourselves, taking care of each other
- Equity, diversity and inclusion commitments
- Statement on SFU's Athletics Team Name Change
- Finding connection in times of adversity
- Wishing you a safe and restful holiday break
- Op-ed: SFU helping drive social, economic innovation in time of crisis
- Welcome new SFU students
- UPDATED Jan. 6: My response to Dec. 11 event in SFU dining hall
- Celebrating Black History Month
- The University’s Role and Contributions to a Just Recovery Over the Next Decade
- Inspired by meetings with SFU Faculty and Staff
- Looking forward to Summer and Fall
- Opinion: This is why SFU is backing the Burnaby Mountain gondola
- External Review of December 11, 2020 Event
- Facing the future with hope
- President's statement on TransMountain Expansion Project and support for a fire hall on Burnaby mountain
- The road ahead
- Stronger Together: SFU, the pandemic and lessons for a better future
- SFU to observe moment of silence at 2:15 PM today
- Taking action: Reconciliation at SFU
- Join SFU President Joy Johnson for a tour of Burnaby campus
Welcome new SFU students
On behalf of all of us at SFU, I am pleased to welcome you to the next stage of your academic journey. I hope you and your loved ones had a wonderful, warm and safe holiday season, and that you took time to rest and relax.
Thank you for choosing SFU – we’re so glad you did. We are Canada’s leading comprehensive university, recognized nationally and internationally for our focus on experiential learning, our commitment academic excellence and our world-class research environment.
Our goal is to inspire you. And, to provide you with the skills and experiences to become engaged global citizens, well equipped for today’s knowledge economy and ready to embrace tomorrow’s challenges.
You’re starting one of life’s most important journeys during a time of great uncertainty. I want to acknowledge that, and to celebrate each of you for your resilience, patience and commitment to continuing to move forward. We will do everything we can to support you during these challenging times and provide you with the world-class education SFU is known for.
Your safety and well-being is our first priority. If you’re struggling, we want to support you. Please reach out and access the resources available to you as an SFU student. Visit the Student Services webpage or SFU Health and Counselling for more information. You can also download the My SSP app for access to free counselling anytime you need it.
I’m looking forward to a time when we can walk down the stairs from the reflection pond to Convocation Mall and listen to the chatter of friends and colleagues. I know all of you are as well. That time will come.
You are joining a diverse, vibrant and compassionate community. There are endless opportunities and options available to you, and I encourage you to jump in and make the most of your experience. You will find an eager group of new friends and supporters waiting for you.
Thank you for choosing SFU. And until we meet in person, stay safe, stay well, take care of yourselves and look out for one another.