- About Joy
- Dr. Yabome Gilpin-Jackson named SFU’s first Vice-President, People, Equity and Inclusion
- Chris (Syeta’xtn) Lewis joins SFU in advisory role on Indigenous Initiatives and Reconciliation
- A World of Difference: How universities must evolve in a post-COVID world
- Russian invasion of Ukraine
- SFU: What's Next?
- Celebrating National Indigenous Peoples day
- Please join us for the annual appreciation BBQ
- SFU begins process to become Living Wage Employer
- Staying engaged in an increasingly polarized world
- SFU: What's Next? - Message from the President to Faculty and Staff
- SFU: What's Next? - Message from the President to students
- Search Announcement: Provost and Vice-President Academic
- Statement from the VP, PEI: Addressing Racism and Hate at SFU
- Welcome new SFU students
- UPDATED Jan. 6: My response to Dec. 11 event in SFU dining hall
- Celebrating Black History Month
- The University’s Role and Contributions to a Just Recovery Over the Next Decade
- Inspired by meetings with SFU Faculty and Staff
- Looking forward to Summer and Fall
- Opinion: This is why SFU is backing the Burnaby Mountain gondola
- External Review of December 11, 2020 Event
- Facing the future with hope
- President's statement on TransMountain Expansion Project and support for a fire hall on Burnaby mountain
- The road ahead
- Stronger Together: SFU, the pandemic and lessons for a better future
- SFU to observe moment of silence at 2:15 PM today
- Taking action: Reconciliation at SFU
- Join SFU President Joy Johnson for a tour of Burnaby campus
- Message from the President: Residential school findings
- Dr. June Francis appointed Special Advisor to the President on Anti-Racism
- My response to the open letter from SFU faculty and staff
- Resources and ways to support scholars in Afghanistan
- BC Vaccine Card
- Masks required on all SFU campuses, vaccine card required for residence, athletics, dining, events and others
- Vaccine declaration and follow-up screening at SFU
- Return to campus planning updates
- Welcome Back
- Work to review contract vs. in-house cleaning and food services
- National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- SFU and SFSS united in commitment to climate action
- Inclusion benefits us all
- Moving forward with kindness
- SFU commits to full divestment from fossil fuels
- Safety on SFU's campuses
- Thank you!
- Temporary shift to remote learning January 10 – 23, 2022
- Statement on academic freedom
- Welcome back faculty and staff
- Welcome back students
- Statement on scholar strike
- Reflections on my first 30 days
- Taking care of ourselves, taking care of each other
- Equity, diversity and inclusion commitments
- Statement on SFU's Athletics Team Name Change
- Finding connection in times of adversity
- Wishing you a safe and restful holiday break
- Op-ed: SFU helping drive social, economic innovation in time of crisis
- President’s Distinguished Community Leadership Award
Please join us for the annual appreciation BBQ
One of my favourite parts of my job is getting to connect with the people who make our SFU community so special.
Whether it's a conversation with a student in the AQ, hearing about exciting new research from a faculty member or an unexpected run-in with a colleague in Strand Hall, it's the connection we have with each other that creates such a vibrant culture here on campus.
And that’s why I am especially looking forward to this year’s annual employee appreciation BBQ—it’s a chance to step away from our work, enjoy delicious food, relax on the grass by the reflecting pond and reconnect with each other after so much time apart.
The BBQ is also a chance for me to thank you in person for how hard you’ve worked to support our students, fellow employees and the communities we serve. Each one of you has made incredible contributions, and I want to thank as many of you as I possibly can, so I’m writing today to say: please join us!
The annual appreciation BBQ will take place on Wednesday, July 20th, between noon and 2 p.m. I encourage you to put it in your calendar and take time out of your day to attend.
Bring your whole team and encourage your coworkers to come meet new friends, reunite with old ones and catch up on all that we’ve missed over the past two years.
- SFU is aiming to make this a zero-waste event. All materials provided are compostable or recyclable. Please bring a refillable bottle or mug for water.
- Buses will be provided for Vancouver and Surrey employees to and from Burnaby campus. If you aren’t able to bus, please consider other sustainable transportation, like carpooling, transit or cycling.
- Free parking will be available in the North Lot between 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. for employees from Surrey and Vancouver campuses.
- We’re expecting sun, so consider bringing a blanket, lawn chair, hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
I can’t wait to see you there.
President and Vice-Chancellor
Simon Fraser University