FHS Peer Mentorship Program
The Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) Peer Mentorship Program pairs new first-year students with an upper-year FHS student based on academic interests, stream and program of study (BSc PQHS, BSc Life Sciences and BA), and career aspirations. The mission of the program is to create a culture of belonging, learning, leadership, development, and well-being among students in the Faculty of Health Sciences. The aim is to ease transition for new students and create a sense of community and connectedness among the Health Sciences community. Mentors will act as the "go-to" person for their Mentees by providing support to them on the phone, online, or in-person. Through the FHS Peer Mentorship program, students will have the opportunity to grow their network, strengthen their leadership and communication skills, and gain valuable experience!
Over the course of each academic year our volunteer Mentors act as a social and academic resource for their Mentees as they adjust to their first year of university life. While they are not tutors or counsellors, the mentors are friendly individuals trained to listen, advise, and guide students to various resources around campus. Depending on academic interests, stream and program of study (BSc PQHS, BSc Life Sciences and BA), and career aspirations, the program matches Mentees to the most suitable Mentors. Events are also hosted to engage all Mentors and Mentees. Some examples include hiking, studying, and movie night.
Job ID: 3996
Application deadline: June 30, 2018
How to Apply
Are you an upper-level FHS student interested in being a Peer Mentor? For more details and information on how to sign up, visit websurvey.sfu.ca/survey/306499898.
The Executive Team consists of Coordinators who are responsible for organizing the Peer Mentorship Program. The Coordinators work as a cohesive unit that supports each other and their team of mentors throughout the year. They are responsible for planning, facilitating and executing all events and activities within the program.
Job ID: 3996
Application Deadline: These roles have already been filled for the Fall 2018/Spring 2019 academic year.
Mentees (First-year / Transfer FHS Students)
If you are an incoming first year or transfer student to the FHS you are eligible to receive a Peer Mentor!
Why Should I Join?
- Feel connected and engaged to the SFU community, faculty, or department.
- Become more informed of resources that will help contribute to your academic and social success at SFU.
- Increase awareness of opportunities to get involved and gain valuable volunteer or work experience.
How Does this Program Work?
- After you sign up, we match you with one of our fabulous Peer Mentors based on a variety of factors including common academic and social interests.
- Matching typically occurs in July / August
- Your Peer Mentor will reach out to you via email or text and you will meet up early in September.
- From there, your Mentor and you will continue to stay in touch throughout the year via face to face meetings, social media, emails or texts – up to you!
- Your Mentor’s role is to provide you with an ear to listen, provide support, inform you of resources, and provide you with personal advice on how to succeed at SFU!
How to Apply
Are you a new first-year FHS student interested in getting a Peer Mentor? For more details and information on how to sign up, visit websurvey.sfu.ca/survey/306413844.
Want to Learn More?
i Note: This opportunity is recognized on the Co-Curricular Record (CCR), an official University document that tracks students’ co-curricular involvement at SFU. Learn more about the Co-Curricular Record.
Hiring period: May - June
Job ID: TBA
Start date: TBA
Application deadline: TBA