Master and Doctoral Positions
We are always interested to hear from inspiring and talented people. If you are interested in a Master thesis or a PhD with our group please send an e-mail inquiry to Prof. Bernhard Rabus (email@example.com) and include your CV, academic transcript and cover letter.
Students with the following qualifications are encouraged to apply:
- Passionate research interest and a background in remote sensing
- Solid programming skills (including C++ and Python)
- Strong scientific writing skills and high motivation to produce publishable results
- A very good command of English, both spoken and written. Internet-based TOEFL (93 with minimum of 20 in each category), Paper-based TOEFL (580 and TWE 5), IELTS academic (overall band score of 7.0 of the academic (NOT general) test with a minimum of 6.5 in each section).
What we offer
- Highly competitive 4-year funded Research Assistantship (RA) starting at CAD$20,000/yr (MSc) / CAD$24,000/yr (PhD) and increasing up to CAD$25,000/yr (MSc) / CAD$30,000/yr (PhD) e.g., after publishing a first paper. Through the School of Engineering Science's Graduate Fellowship (GF) and/or Teaching Assistantship Program (TA), applicants generally receive an additional CAD$13,000/yr or more (this additional amount alone is sufficient to cover tuition fees).
- Exceptional creative freedom in research and potential collaborations across SFU departments and other universities
- Free access to all RADARSAT-2 satellite data and many other exclusive remote sensing data sets
- Top-notch equipment such as a high-powered experimental GPU server and our own airborne SAR sensor
- Passionate mentoring and supervision
- Optional: direct project based collaboration with MDA, with the potential of future career possibility