The ITCR is a multidisciplinary research unit with the following objectives:
- to promote cutting-edge cultural research and develop new modes of critical analysis based on transpacific methodologies
- to promote SFU as a hub for transpacific research and community engagement by bringing innovative local and international scholars, cultural institutions, government agencies, industry, artists, filmmakers, and writers into dialogue with each other
- to play a leading role, at local, regional, and international levels, in academic exchanges, conferences, grants, public dialogues, and publications on issues relating to the field of transpacific cultural research
- to achieve research excellence in Canada and internationally by leading research collaborations with national and international research partners
- to enhance and expand resources for graduate student training in the field of transpacific cultural research through visits to international partner institutions, and participation in master classes and research training studios with international scholars
- to investigate transpacific issues through the expertise of cultural researchers from different disciplines and fields
We respectfully acknowledge that SFU is on the unceded traditional territory of the Coast Salish peoples, specifically the shared traditional territories of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), Tsleil-Waututh, xwməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam) and Kwikwetlem First Nations.