Joey Hartman is Chair of the BC Labour Heritage Centre and past president of the Vancouver & District Labour Council, representing 60,000 workers who belong to over 110 affiliated unions in the Vancouver area.
Her experience as a labour and community activist began on the picket line during a 14-week Vancouver area civic strike in 1981. That strike resulted in some pay equity redress. She is also keenly interested in labour history, international solidarity and broad based community organizing.
While VDLC president, Joey was on leave from her position as staff representative with the Hospital Employee’s Union where she handled grievances, arbitration, negotiations, local building and other matters.
Joey also serves on several boards including:
- BC Labour Heritage Centre
- Pacific Northwest Labour History Association
- On-to-Ottawa Historical Society
- SFU Labour Studies Program Advisory Committee
- Metro Vancouver Alliance
- United Way of the Lower Mainland
- BC Employment Standards Coalition