- Support Us
- TA/TM Portal
- Teaching-Instructor Portal
- Support us
Students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Labour Studies learn to critically analyze historical and contemporary labour issues such as precarious work, automation, and globalization. You will gain a detailed understanding of the forces affecting work, workers and their organizations. Major students develop empirical research skills, and have opportunities to apply their knowledge through co-op and experiential learning. This program is an excellent pathway into the fields of law, policy, education, and labour organizing.
Program requirements (Effective Fall 2019)
For complete program requirements and course descriptions see the Academic Calendar. The major program requires the completion of 120 units, including the following:
Lower division requirements
- Minimum 21 units including LBST 101, LBST 202 (Q), and LBST 201**
- ** Students with credit for LBST 230 under the title "Workers and Global Capitalism" or "Work and Employment in a Globalized World" may not take LBST 201 for further credit.
Upper division requirements
- Minimum 30 units including LBST 301 (W)
- As well as at least 21 units of Labour Studies courses from the following:
LBST 306-3, LBST 307-3, LBST 308-3, LBST 309-3, LBST 310-3, LBST 311-3, LBST 312-3, LBST 313-3, LBST/GEOG 328-4, LBST 330-3 *, LBST 331-4 *, LBST 431-4 *
* Students may take more than one offering of LBST selected topics courses for credit and towards the major, as long as the topic for each offering is different.
Plus 6 units from the list of upper division LBST elective courses or from the following:
- ECON 325-3, ECON 342 -3, ECON 381-3, ECON 426W-3, ECON 480-3
- GSWS 308-4, GSWS 312-4, GSWS 317-4, GSWS 322-4
- HIST 428-4, HIST 463W-4, HIST 327-4
- HSCI 404-3
- POL 315-4, POL 343-4, POL 350-4
- SA 302W-4, SA 304-4, SA 321-4, SA 325-4, SA 351-4, SA 355-4, SA 362-4
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences degree requirements
For all bachelor of arts (BA) programs, students complete 120 units, which includes
- At least 60 units that must be completed at Simon Fraser University
- At least 45 upper division units, of which at least 30 upper division units must be completed at Simon Fraser University
- At least 65 units (including 21 upper division units) in Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences courses
- Satisfaction of the writing, quantitative, and breadth requirements
- An overall cumulative grade point average (CGPA) and upper division CGPA of at least 2.0, and a program (major, joint major, extended minor, minor) CGPA and upper division CGPA of at least 2.0
Writing, quantitative, and breadth requirements
Students must meet writing, quantitative and breadth (WQB) requirements as part of any degree program they may undertake. See Writing, Quantitative, and Breadth Requirements for university-wide information.
Already taking labour studies courses, or pursuing a minor or certificate?
Existing credits can be translated towards the completion of a major in Labour Studies. For personalized information on transitioning into the major program contact email@example.com.