Insider Information

Everything you want to know but won’t necessarily be told

  • The department gives MA students $300 and Ph.D. students $400 in support of the research component of your program. Margaret keeps a running tally of your research account.  Your student research fund is quite flexible and can be used for the purchase of testing materials, TLC work orders for slide production, poster printing, books or manuals related to your research, library and/or departmental copying, etc. It can’t be used for salaries (paying research assistants) or graduate student travel (handled separately). Use the Departmental resources whenever possible, so you don’t have to front the expenses and wait for reimbursement. For more information contact Margaret Elsey.
  • The department orders business cards for students upon request.
  • The TSSU will pay for MSP healthcare for yourself as well as spouses and dependents. You can also apply for MSP through the HR department at SFU. For more information check out the Welcome to BC page.

  • The water cooler in the photocopy room (5120) along with the kettle and espresso machine in the main office are open to everyone. There's also a huge tea stash in the main office!
  • To help cover the cost of conferences, apply for department and caucus travel awards of up to $600.
  • Did you know your student fees covers the cost of an SFU Recreation Centre membership all year round? This includes an indoor running track, basketball, badminton and racquet courts, swimming pools and a fitness centre. Head on over to SFU Rec to check out everything they have to offer!