Career Ready Changemaker Program
Receive this Co-curricular Record!
Your career is not only one of the biggest factors shaping your life – it’s also one of your biggest opportunities to make a difference in the world. This can feel like a lot of pressure! But with so many big problems to solve in our communities and globally, how do you know where to begin?
This online co-curricular program will support you through exploring and taking action - whether you are starting your academic journey at SFU, looking towards your post-SFU career, or in the middle of your degree and questioning your direction. You will earn recognition on your Co-Curricular Record and a Career Ready Changemakers - Certificate of Program Completion.
Is This Program for Me?
Do you have a passion and desire to make positive social and environmental change?
Are you an SFU student interested in exploring and building a changemaking career?
Are you motivated to follow a self-directed program and track your progress?
This program is for you!
Students in the Career Ready Changemaker Program will:
- Learn 10 career building strategies for changemakers and map out your next steps
- Explore experience-boosting volunteer, paid work and entrepreneurial opportunities
- Identify potential future employers involved in sustainability and social impact work
- Activate new social innovation skills to help you contribute to a more just, sustainable future
- Attend skill-building workshops on topics such as resumes, networking, wellness during work search and applying to grad school
- Connect into the most helpful tools, resources and opportunities at SFU and beyond
- Think about career building and leadership critically through an anti-oppression lens
What’s the Commitment & Timeline?
- Plan to spend approximately 10 hours to complete all of the components - a series of virtual workshops, on-demand videos and reflective activities that can be completed asynchronously
- We suggest you try to attend the West Coast Virtual Fair on May 17-18, as this online event is an opportunity to meet with organizations to explore summer, career, co-op and volunteer opportunities
- All students complete the foundational Career Building for Changemakers Workshop (via a recording), and you can choose from the other workshop topics that are most helpful to you
- The workshops in this program will have text-based chat to support students
- It is not compulsory to have your camera and/or microphone on during the workshops
- If you have any accessibility needs please email email@example.com and we will do our best to address your needs
How Do I Join?
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for this program with "Career Ready Changemaker Program" in the title and your SFU email. You will receive an invitation to a Canvas course!