How to Apply
Submitting an Application
You must use SFU's online application system to complete the following steps. Applicants are encouraged to begin this process early to allow sufficient time ahead of the deadline to upload application materials.
1. Fill out an application for graduate study and pay an application fee.
- Applicants with Canadian transcripts: $90
- Applicants with international transcripts: $125
If you're applying for both the M.Urb and GDUS programs in the same application cycle, you'll need to submit separate applications, fees, and supporting materials for each. Once the payment of your application fee is processed (in 1-2 business days), you will receive instructions about uploading your application materials.
2. When prompted, please upload the following documents:
- Statement of interest: A one-page document that explains your learning objectives and your motivation for acquiring advanced urban analytical skills. Applicants to the master's program should also speak to a potential focus for their independent research project.
- Resume /curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of transcripts from all universities and/or colleges you've attended, including institutions attended on transfer. You must also arrange to have an official transcript (or transcripts) sent to us directly from the granting institution.
Urban Studies, Simon Fraser University,
Suite 2100, 515 West Hastings Street,
Vancouver, BC V6B 5K3, Canada
3. Letters of reference: You'll be asked to provide the names, position, and contact information for three referees from whom you've requested confidential letters of reference. The referees will then receive a link and instructions for uploading their letters. Letters must be provided through the link provided to them from the online application system. Normally, at least of two of these letters should be from academic sources.
4. Proof of English proficiency: If your post-secondary degree was awarded in a nation where English is not an official language, you must also supply proof, by the application deadline, that you've met the minimum satisfactory score on a standardized English language test acceptable to the university. This requirement applies irrespective of the language(s) used in instruction at the applicant's university.
Deadlines for applications and supporting materials
- June 15, 2017 (to start in January 2018)
We will notify you of our decision on your application 4 to 6 weeks after the application deadline.