SFU wasn’t just a place where our alumni studied, participated in fun activities and graduated. For many of them, SFU was also the place where they met their significant other. It’s where they fell in love!
If you are an SFU grad and you met your significant other at SFU during your time as a student, please share your story with us!
We will be accepting submissions until the end of the month!
How to share your story!
Who can enter?
- At least one person must be an SFU alumnus.
- If you have submitted a story in the past, you'll still be able to participate again in 2024.
What to submit?
- Your love story: Let us know how you met and how SFU played a role in your love story (see more under how to submit).
- Photo(s): Share at least one photo of you and your partner. This photo can be from your time at SFU, a special day (i.e. an anniversary, wedding day) or something current. You are welcome to share more than one photo. If you are submitting photos of then and now, here's an example of how it might be shared.
- Your song (optional): What is the song you would call “Our song”? We'll add this to a playlist of love songs currated by alumni to be shared in February.
- 1 x $200 Fairmont Hotel gift card
- 2 x SFU swag prize packs (worth $100 each)
*Terms and Conditions apply.
Where will the submitted stories be posted?
How to submit
- Write your SFU love story. To help you write your story, here are a few questions to consider:
- When and how did you and your partner meet?
- Are there any special memories of you two on campus?
- If you have any children, did/do any attend SFU?
- Were there any key classes, locations, student clubs, programs, etc. that were instrumental in your romance?
- You can view submissions from 2020 to gain some inspiration!
- We will give you three options to submit: type out your answer, upload a word document or answer three questions if you're not sure what to write.
- Gather a photo or two. Please share include your name in the file name. If possible, please provide a high-resolution photo.
- Gather details about you and your partner. We will ask you:
- Your names
- Your graduation credentials (e.g. BA 2001, PhD 1987)
- Your area(s) of study (e.g. English, economics, biology)
- Your student ID or date of birth (to verify eligibility)
- Your contact information
- Note: When your photo and story is published, we will only share your first names and graduation credentials. Your area of study, last name and other personal information will not be published.
Once you've gathered the pieces above, share your love story by complete the survey below!
By entering SFU Alumni’s “We Fell in Love at SFU” prize draw you agree to be bound by the following Terms and Conditions:
- The ‘We Fell in Love at SFU’ campaign is run by SFU Alumni whose registered office is located at Strand Hall 2118, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6.
- SFU Alumni is solely responsible for the organizing, administering, and fulfilling the Campaign. The Campaign and Campaign organizations are not affiliated with Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn or Twitter/X in any way, nor is it sponsored, endorsed, or administrated, or associated by the companies from where the gift certificate prizes are from.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this Campaign.
- By entering this Campaign, an entrant indicates their agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- This Campaign is being held at the above-described Campaign access point or website.
- The Campaign is open to only SFU alumni, who have received a Senate-approved degree, certificate or diploma from Simon Fraser University. The prize draw is open to these SFU alumni, excluding Quebec residents and employees of Simon Fraser University.
- Eligibility participants are responsible for providing accurate information required for verification of their SFU alumni status. This includes providing their SFU student ID, or date of birth in lieu of student ID number and complete graduation credentials received from SFU. Submissions that do not provide the required information for verification may be disqualified from the Campaign.
- Participants enter the Campaign by submitting one (1) submission form towards the prize pool. Only one (1) submission form is permitted per participant. All participants will be required to answer a simple skill-testing question in compliance of Canada’s Criminal Code and the Competition Act of Canada. Multiple submission forms will automatically be disqualified. Entries will be reviewed by the Digital Marketing Team at SFU Advancement and Alumni Relations to determine eligibility based on verification of the entrant as an SFU alumnus, appropriateness and completeness of the entry including review of the story and photos submitted. Entries containing nudity, offensive or sexually-suggestive words and/or visuals deemed inappropriate will be disqualified. There will be zero tolerance for those who promote violence against others on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, or different ability. Any content that incites harm towards others or is otherwise deemed inappropriate will not be included at the discretion of SFU Alumni.
- Submissions must be original content developed and owned by the entrant and they irrevocably assign all intellectual property rights, including trademarks associated with the entry to Simon Fraser University. Photos may be used to continue to promote this campaign and for use in future SFU Alumni programs, social media, and digital and print publications. The entry becomes the property of Simon Fraser University and may be used for any other promotional materials. Entries containing nudity, words and/or visuals deemed inappropriate will be disqualified.
- SFU Alumni will not be held responsible for any incomplete or inaccurate submissions and is under no obligation to verify or follow up on incomplete submissions. Participants are responsible for ensuring that their submissions provide the accurate information intended to be updated.
- Each Prize claim is subject to verification by SFU Alumni and/or its designated representatives. Entries made with multiple addresses, under multiple identities, or through the use of any device or other method to enter multiple times or entries that are in excess of the permitted number of entries are automatically void. All contest entries obtained through unauthorized sources or which are incomplete or in any way not in compliance with these Terms and Conditions are automatically void.
- SFU Alumni is not responsible for lost or late entries.
- SFU Alumni is not responsible for any miscommunications, failed communications systems, software malfunctions, or for any human errors in connection with this contest.
- SFU Alumni may suspend or terminate this contest if SFU Alumni is of the view this contest’s administration or fair play has been compromised.
- The Campaign will open on January 9, 2024.
- Closing date for submission forms will be at 11:59PM PST on February 13, 2024. After this date, no further submissions towards the Campaign will be permitted.
- SFU Alumni is not responsible for submissions not received regardless of the cause for non-receipt.
- SFU Alumni reserves the right to cancel, terminate, suspend, or amend the Campaign and these terms and conditions without notice at its discretion, at any time, without prior notice.
- Entrants will be notified of any changes to the Campaign as soon as possible by SFU Alumni.
- SFU Alumni is not responsible for any injury or damage to your or any other person’s equipment (computer, mobile telephone, or other device) used by you to enter into the contest or obtain any materials related to the contest.
- A winner will be chosen by way of an automated system draw from all entries received and verified by SFU Alumni.
- The winner will be notified by email within 3-5 business days of the draw closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted and/or failure to respond within 3 days of notification, SFU Alumni reserves the right to withdraw the prize and pick a replacement winner.
- SFU Alumni will coordinate with the winners for their respective prizes to be mailed to the winners’ preferred shipping addresses. Please note: SFU Alumni will not be able to mail to P.O. Boxes.
- The number of winners selected will correspond to the number of prizes drawn; each winner will receive one prize.
- The total value of the prizes are $400 CAD.
- Actual/appraised value may differ at time of each prize awarded.
- No cash or other prize substitutions shall be permitted.
- Prizes must be accepted as awarded.
- SFU Alumni reserves the right to exchange prizes or items in prize packs with a comparable alternative of equal or greater value, for reasons beyond their control, certain items become unavailable, discontinued, or are otherwise unable to be included.
- SFU Alumni will arrange for the shipment of prizes using a reputable shipping service. The package will be handled and shipped in accordance with the standard practices of the chosen shipping service.
- SFU Alumni is not responsible for the loss, theft, damage, or delay once the packages has been mailed out and entrusted to the shipping service.
- SFU Alumni is not responsible for any international currency exchange rate fluctuations that may affect the value of the prizes at the time of the winner’s redemption.
- The prizes are non-transferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation of any and all federal, provincial, and/or local taxes, shall be on the sole responsibility of the respective winners. No substitution of prize or transfer and/or assignment of the respective prizes to others nor request for the cash equivalent by the winners are permitted.
- The respective winners agree to supply SFU Alumni with additional information that SFU Alumni may reasonably require in order to process and facilitate the acceptance and/or use of the prizes and/or as required by law.
- SFU Alumni is not responsible, and disclaims all liability, for any loss, liability, injury, expense or damage of any nature, whether arising from negligence or any other cause, which is suffered by entrants’ participation in the contest or the acceptance and/or use by entrants, of the respective prizes.
- By participating in this contest, each entrant and winner agrees to: (a) be bound by these Terms and Conditions and the decisions of SFU Alumni; and (b) release and hold SFU Alumni harmless, and its Boards of Governors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all liabilities, losses, claims, demands, costs and expenses (including lawyer’s fees and litigation expenses on a solicitor and own client basis) whatsoever to which any of them may become subject arising from any actions or omissions by the entrant.
- By participating in this contest, each entrant and winner agrees that SFU Alumni may post the winner’s name on its website.
- This contest is subject to all applicable laws of the Province of British Columbia and the laws of Canada, as well as these Terms and Conditions.
PRIVACY COLLECTION NOTICE
SFU Alumni collects personal information on behalf of SFU under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (RSBC 1996, c.165). The personal information collected includes your and your partner’s name, email address, mailing address, telephone number, graduation credentials, area of study and student ID number (or date or birth in lieu of student ID number).
It is related directly to and needed by the University verify entrant eligibility and update the alumni database. The information will be used update your alumni record. The information may be disclosed to faculties and departments at the university strictly upon request and only for alumni related activities or programs. If you have any questions about the collection and use of this information, please contact SFU Alumni at firstname.lastname@example.org.