- NewsWatcher’s Guide to Content Analysis
- Robert Hackett (2011). Occupy Canada Through Big Media Lens, And Yours; While pundits called Occupiers names, Tyee readers captured their diversity in photos. Have a look. The Tyee.
- Robert Hackett (2011). War radio and the militarization of Canada Culture. Rabble.ca.
- NewsWatch Canada Research Seminar Fall 2011 – Missing News in Canada
Global Media Monitoring Project
The Global Media Monitoring Project is the largest and longest running international research project on women in the news. Conducted every 5 years the 2010 reports mark the 4th time women in the news was monitored, and this time included data from 108 countries world-wide. Dr. Cross coordinated the research for the Canada data, and wrote both the Canadian and the North American reports.
Global Media Monitoring Project – Canada Report (2010)
Global Media Monitoring Project – North America Report (2010)
Global Media Monitoring Project – Global Report (2010)
Global Media Monitoring Project Press Release (2010)
Scholarly Publications and Books
- Cross, Kathleen A., Robert A. Hackett & Steve Anderson. (2011) “Communication and Resistance: Options and Strategies for Change” [Book chapter] in Publicity and the Canadian State: Critical Communications Approaches, Kirsten Kozolanda (ed.) University of Toronto Press. Forthcoming.
- Cross, Kathleen A., (2010) ““Experts in the News: The differential use of sources in election television news.” Canadian Journal of Communication, 35:3.
- Shane Gunster, ”Listening to Labour: Mainstream Media, Talk Radio and the 2005 B.C. Teacher’s Strike,” Canadian Journal of Communication Vol 33, No 4, 2008.
- Robert Hackett (March, 2001) – Concentrate on media ownership- It’s still an issue. NewsWatch Monitor Issue 7
- Robert Hackett (June, 2000) – Why democracy needs public broadcasting. NewsWatch Monitor Issue 6
- Robert Hackett (1999) – Press Council’s ruling flouts principle of editorial balance. NewsWatch Monitor Issue 5
- Donald Gutstein (Fall, 1998) – Vancouver Sun’s coverage acid test of owner’s influence. NewsWatch Monitor Issue 4
- Donald Gutstein (Spring 1998) – Fraser Institute continues its distorting ways. NewsWatch Monitor Issue 3
- Gina Bailey (August, 1997) – The Emperor’s Party Surprise. NewsWatch Monitor Issue 2
- Brent Stafford (April, 1997) – Think tanks in the news. NewsWatch Monitor Issue 1