SFU Engineering Science Senior Lecturer and Communication Program Coordinator Steve Whitmore passed away on Nov. 7. Whitmore had been a part of the School of Engineering Science (ENSC) since 1992 and was a favourite among his students and colleagues.
An expert in technical communications, Whitmore co-founded the ENSC writing/communications courses and program that have been a central part of the school. This key piece of the curriculum helps ensure SFU’s engineering students graduate with communication skills that set them apart from peers in the field.
Whitmore published several guidelines and handbooks for professional communication in technical and non-technical fields. He co-authored the textbook Strategies for Engineering Communication, which is used in courses at SFU and other post-secondary institutions.
A beloved instructor, Whitmore was always finding ways to put a smile on the faces of his students. He made his classes engaging, and would collaborate with colleagues to create new opportunities for students to put their skills into practice. His dedication to his work was evident – even when he was battling an illness, his primary focus was on ensuring that students in his class were being supported in his absence.
Whitmore was an integral part of the SFU’s engineering science community for more than 27 years, and will be deeply missed by everyone.
BC Provincial Instructors Diploma, Vancouver Community College, Canada, 2006
MA, Education, Simon Fraser University, Canada, 1992
BA, English, Notre Dame University of Nelson, Canada, 1982
- Neurology and learning
- Course & curriculum design
- Critical and creative thinking
- Writing processes of engineers
- Project courses in engineering education
- Freshman writing courses
- Capstone project courses
- Graduate writing courses
- Teaching large classes
Recently taught courses
- ENSC 101: Writing Process, Persuasion, and Presentations
- ENSC 305: Project Documentation and Group Dynamics
- ENSC 803: Writing for Publication
Selected recent publications
- Engineering Writing: Project Documentation and the Design Process. Co-authored with Michael Sjoerdsma. Kendall Hunt Publishing. (In Process)
- ENSC 305/440: Project Documentation and Group Dynamics (2010)
- ENSC 803: Writing for Publication (2010)
- ENSC 498/499: Theses & Thesis Proposals (2010)
- Style Exercises for Technical Writers (2004)