MECHATRONIC SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
SFU is home to the only School of Mechatronic Systems Engineering in Western Canada. This program combines the cyber and physical realms into technology that can be used for social good. Our labs put classroom theory into practice, providing you with hands-on experience using the same equipment you will encounter in your future career.
Integrating three engineering fields – mechanical, electrical and software engineering – SFU Mechatronic Systems Engineering addresses the growing demand for efficient high-tech solutions in an increasingly complex world.
With a rich entrepreneurial edge, our program features invaluable real-world experience.
- Direct admission, start studying as a Mechatronics major from the first day of classes
- One-year, paid co-operative education allows you to explore your career paths
- Close-knit community provides you direct access to labs and expert faculty
- Diverse engineering education prepares you for careers in biomedical, mechanical, robotic, electronic, systems, or computer engineering
- Complete two-semester capstone in which you will develop a significant mechatronics project under the gudiance of a faculty member
- Accelerated master's option allows you to work toward a master's degree alongisde your undergraduate degree
- Accredited curriculum allows you to fulfill requirements to become a professional engineer
Ready to apply?
Check deadlines, requirements, or submit your application on our Admissions Page.
UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE DETAILS
Students in the Mechatronic Systems Engineering program will begin their studies with the foundations of engineering, physics, mathematics, computing and chemistry. Building on these fundamental concepts, students will take on more specialized topics in engineering - such as Fuel Cell Systems, Microfluids, Mano Manufacturing, Robtics Systems, Embedded Control Systems, and much more!
- Mechatronic Systems Engineering (BSc)
- Mechatronic Systems Engineering & Business Double Degree (BSc, BBA)
Program Concentrations (Optional):
- Agri-tech option
All applicants intending to start their studies at SFU must complete the University general requirements:
Program Specific Requirements
To be eligible for entry into the mechatronic systems engineering program, applicants must also fulfil additional criteria for admission:
- Domestic high school applicants: a minimum of 5 approved Grade 12 courses must be completed. Admission is based on an evaluation of all approved Grade 11 and Grade 12 courses. To view the requirements, please visit our mechatronic systems engineering admissions page.
- Domestic College or University transfer applicants: a minimum of 24 units of transferable post-secndary course work. To view the specific requirements, please visit our college transfer admissions page.
- International applicants: read more about the requirements for international students on our computing science admissions page.
Tuition & Fees
MECHATRONIC SYSTEMS ENGINEERING CAREERS
Mechatronics Systems Engineering is where cyber meets physical. After completing the Bachelor of Applied Sciences (BASc), our graduates are prepared to work in a variety of roles. Here are a few examples: