Completed his PhD at the University of California, Berkeley in 2007. Was the Ted and Elaine Athanassiades post-doctoral fellow at Princeton University from 2007 to 2008, and has worked at the International Center for Hellenic and Mediterranean Studies and at San Francisco State University from 2008 to 2012 when he moved to Simon Fraser University in Vancouver Canada. Has Published several articles and his book The Shackles of Modernity: Women, Property, and the Transition from the Ottoman Empire to the Modern Greek State 1750-1850, was published this year (February 2012) at the Cultural Politics, Socioaesthetics, Beginnings Series of Harvard University Press.
The Shackes of Modernity: Women, Property, and the Transition from the Ottoman Empire to the Greek State, 1750-1850
Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2012
State, Nationalism, and the Jewish Communities of Modern Greece 2018
Living Under Austerity 2018
- “Women and Law in 19th Century Greece: The Impact of the Modern State” in Eva Schandevyl ed. Women in Law and Law-making in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Europe (Ashgate, forthcoming).
- “The transformation of women’s property and work rights with the establishment of the Modern Greek state in the early 19th century” in Heide Wunder and Grethe Jacobsen eds. East meets West: A Gendered view of Legal Tradition, (Budapest: Central European University Press, forthcoming)
- "The Effect of non-Juridical Gender Constructions on Legal Developments. Some General Considerations Through the Case of Abortion”. In volume of the proceedings of the conference "Gender Difference in European Legal Cultures” at the University of Frankfurt am Main (forthcoming).
- “Legal Trickery: Men, Women, and Justice in Late Ottoman Greece”, Past and Present, no. 210 (2011), 129-153.
- “Property and Morality: Women in the Communal Courts of Ottoman Greece”, Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies, Vol. 34, No. 1 (2010), 61-80.
- “Kin and Marriage in two Aegean Islands at the End of the 18th Century” in Jutta Sperling and Shona Kelly Wray eds., Gender, Property and Law in Jewish, Christian, and Muslim Communities in the Wider Mediterranean 1300-1800, (New York: Routledge Press, 2010), 238-255.
- “Standing in their Place: The Exclusion of Women from the Early Modern Greek Legal System”, Journal of Modern Greek Studies, No 25, (2007), 75-97.