History strongly endorses international student exchanges. Our students have studies in Great Britain, Turkey, Australia, Egypt, Hong Kong, the Czech Republic and a wide variety of other countries. Exchanges for one or two semesters are a great opportunity to study in a new environment and expand your horizons. 

Exchange partner institutions enable you to pay the same fees you would pay at SFU and many have great options for living cheaply on or near campus.

Field Schools

Field Schools offer a  guided study opportunity to a select number of countries.  Unlike exchanges, field school students study SFU courses with SFU faculty. History credit is available from the Hellenic Studies History/Humanities Field School to Greece. Other programs are offered around the world and upper division credit can be obtained in a variety of other disciplines.

Letters of Permission

If you will be away from SFU and wish to study at another institution that is not an SFU exchange partner, you may be able to attend  as a Visiting Student and transfer that credit to your degree. A Letter of Permission is a formal agreement between a student and SFU enabling you to know what credit you will receive for study elsewhere. Here is the process:

Before you register at the other school:
1) Print of the Request for a Letter of Permission form HERE
2) Complete it and submit it to the Office of the Registrar with outlines for the courses you wish to take – if you can obtain up to date syllabi that is ideal. We will need at least a one page outline to evaluate what credit SFU will give for the course.
3) After the form has circulated between your major (and minor if applicable) department and the Faculty advisors it returns to Registrars who inform you of what credit you will receive for your courses. NOTE: Many schools require that you have a Letter of Permission to register as a visiting student.
4) Go to school! You must obtain a grade of at least C to transfer this credit to SFU.

After you have completed your courses:
Arrange for the school to send your final transcript to SFU. Credit will then be added to your record. Please note: grades for courses taken outside SFU do not count towards your SFU grade point averages.

Not all requests are approved. Make sure to review Page 2 of the Letter of Permission application form for details.