Graduate Application Checklist
We urge you to contact the faculty member relevant to your research before beginning the application process. Find out whether the faculty member will be available to supervise your research. You will find the list of faculty on the menu to the left.
Applications accepted starting: October 1
Application deadline: January 15
A. Online Application Form
Payment of fee is required before application is submitted to the department.
- Complete the online application form
- Pay application fee:
- $90 - applicants with Canadian transcripts
- $125 - applicants with International transcripts
B. Supporting Documents
Most items will be submitted as uploads through the online application system. All items must be received before the application will be considered. Applications received after January 15th may not be considered for funding.
1. Proposed Program of Study:
- Outline your proposed program of study (one single-spaced page for MA applicants; two pages for PhD applicants). Identify the question you wish to address, its historical, historiographical, and methodological significance, and the sources you will use for research.
- Please also indicate which faculty members in the Department of History might supervise
your work. The Department uses this information to assess your ability to frame and
research a historical question, and to assess the Department's ability to support your
2. Academic Writing Sample:
A sample of your written work (in English), preferably a senior paper or Master's thesis.
3. Copy of your CV
4. Official transcripts for all post-secondary work must be submitted directly to the Department of History
Transcripts in languages other than English must be submitted with an official English translation.
5. Three academic references. Reference letters in a language other than English must be submitted with an official English translation.
6. Official copy of your TOEFL or IELTS results. *Only required if primary language of instruction was not in English and may be submitted directly to department. Please submit supporting documents as per the online application instructions.
For futher information, contact:
Graduate Program Assistant
See also the Dean of Graduate Studies website for further information for prospective students.