Guidelines and Timetable
The Math Catcher Festival is grounded in the values of seeing and realising mathematics as very much a part of Indigenous culture embodying heart, body, mind and soul. Mathematics is involved in our everyday lives helping us to solve real world problems and to make sense of the world around us. The Festival day is the culmination of the opportunity for students to use their imagination and creativity to illustrate their knowledge of mathematics and indigenous cultures and traditions by creating short stories which are playful, promote kin and friendship in indigenous settings.
- The Festival is open to the participation of classes of students in G4 and G5.
- Students can work individually or in small groups.
- Students can create stories in a format of their choice, e.g. picture format, written text, Power Point presentation, play, etc.
- As participating partners teachers will be encouraged to nominate a selection from all submissions by their class for consideration to be showcased on the Festival Day.
i. All completed projects from a class can be submitted; teachers to highlight/identify their nominated selection of three or less.
ii. Written stories to be of no more than 500 words (approximately two type double spaced 8.5 x 11” (22 cm x 28 cm) pages.
iii. Plays and videos to be between 3 – 5 minutes in length.
- The Math Catcher Festival Committee will make a selection of stories nominated by teachers who are confirmed participants, to be showcased on
the Festival day of Friday 11th December, that demonstrate:
i. the guiding principles of the Math Catcher Festival, i.e. diversity and inclusivity, mathematical understanding and knowledge, creativity and use of imagination,
ii. diversity of formats for telling of the stories,
iii. demonstration of mathematics,
iv. a geographic/regional representation of submissions.
- Saturday 31st October 2020 – Expression of Interest deadline
- Friday 27th November 2020 – Final submission deadline
- Friday 4th December 2020 – Selection by Math Catcher Festival Committee of stories to be showcased on Festival Day
- Friday 4th December 2020 – Teachers to be notified of showcased submissions
- Friday 11th December 2020 – Festival Day!!!!