GRADUATE ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
The School of Mechatronic Systems Engineering offers programs leading to Master of Applied Science (MASc) and in Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees.
To earn a MASc or P.h.D degree in the School of Mechatronic Systems Engineering, students must meet all program requirements as described in the Univesity Academic Calendar per admission term. Students must take the required number of units/courses in the program including completion of a research thesis. The current academic calendar is available here. To view the archived academic calendar, please click here.
A supervisory committee must be established for MASc and PhD students at MSE. The minimum composition for the supervisory committee consists of the supervisor (or co-supervisors) and at least one committee member chosen in consultation with the student. The committee member must be a faculty member, adjunct professor or research associate at Simon Fraser University. A suitably qualified individual may be eligible to serve as an additional committee member.
More information and regulations on supervisory committees can be found in Section 1.6 of the Graduate General Regulations.
Maintain a CGPA of 3.0 throughout the program.
- You cannot receive a graduate degree from SFU with a CGPA lower than 3.0.
- To be eligible for an SFU or FAS Graduate Fellowship (GF), a CGPA of 3.5 is required.
Annual Progress Report Requirement
- Completion of the progress report must be done in conjunction with a meeting of the supervisory committee.
- Research performance is evaluated by the senior supervisor in consultation with the supervisory committee.
- Performance indicators and metrics applied to evaluate a student’s performance are determined between the student and his/her supervisory committee.
- Unsatisfactory research performance will require a review by the Graduate Program Committee under section 1.8.2 of the General Graduate Regulations.
- Unsatisfactory research performance may be cause for a student to be asked to withdraw from the program.
Program Length/Completion Period
Phd tudents are expected to complete the program requirement within four years. MASc students are expected to complete the program requirements in six terms. Leave of absence may be allowed under Graduate General Regulatons 1.8.4.
Calendar Description of the Mechatronic Systems Engineering Graduate Program
Learn more about the courses offered at MSE in the Simon Fraser University Calendar.