- Open Science
INN Travel Awards are intended to support the travel component of conference activities related to neuroscience and/or neurotechnology research conducted by students and postdoctoral fellows at SFU.
Ten (10) awards valued at up to $1000 each are available per academic year.
Applications are considered three times per academic year.
Application deadlines for 2023-2024: September 29, January 31, May 31
- The applicant must be:
a) a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow member of the INN; or an undergraduate
student whose research supervisor is a member of the INN; and
b) the presenting author of a conference abstract; and
c) a current SFU student or postdoctoral fellow at the time of application.
- The applicant’s research supervisor must also be a member of the INN.
To apply, applicants are asked to submit:
- a completed INN Travel Award application form
- a copy of the presentation abstract
- a copy of the acceptance (not submission) notice for the conference presentation
- a CV
Submissions may be emailed to email@example.com.
- Applications will be adjudicated by the INN Executive Committee or their designate.
- Adjudication criteria will include scientific merit of the abstract, financial need, previous conference attendance, stage of training, and conference location (national vs. international).
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not previously received an INN Travel Award.
- Only travel expenses as defined in SFU’s policy on Business and Travel Expenses (policy number AD 3.02) not currently covered by other travel awards are eligible for reimbursement.
- Subject to exceptions, award payments are made upon submission of eligible expenses and proof of travel.
- Where possible, travel expenses are to be charged to the research supervisor’s grant and the award amount will be transferred to the research supervisor’s account after the travel has taken place.
- Exceptions for award amounts to be paid before travel takes place may be requested. In these cases, proof of travel must be submitted following conference attendance. In the event of travel cancellation or failure to provide proof of travel, the awardee must return any funds awarded.
Awardees must include their and/or their supervisor’s INN affiliation and acknowledge the INN travel award as part of the conference presentation. INN logos can be requested from firstname.lastname@example.org