Co-operative Education

Student loan funding

Students participating in a co-op and applying for student loan funding for the term must:

  • answer “yes” to the question "Will you be on a paid co-op work term?"
  • indicate amount of co-op earnings (gross earnings for the term).
  • apply for one term, per application.

Contact a Financial Aid Advisor if participating in:

  • a co-op and enrolled in class(es) in the same term
  • an "unpaid" co-op
  • an International co-op

Scholarships, Awards and Bursaries

Students enrolled in only an SFU Co-op term are ineligible to apply for SFU administered scholarships, awards and/or bursaries. However, if you are enrolled in 9 units of standard graded courses in addition to your co-op for the term, you may be eligible to apply.

Students enrolled in an SFU international Co-op term are eligible to apply for the SFU International Co-op Education Bursaries and the SFU International Co-op Education Awards.

Maintaining interest-free status

Enrollment in co-op is considered full-time; therefore, a co-op student may apply for interest-free status. See Maintaining Interest-Free Status (BC residents) for more information; otherwise check with your province of residence.

Contact a Financial Aid Advisor for further information.