- Public Lectures
- Contact us
The CED Certificate Program in CED planning and practice immerses students in a peer-supported learning environment. We place great emphasis on using a cohort approach to the program since the majority of our students are already mature professionals. Peer support encourages mutual sharing of personal cases studies and learnings, builds confidence among participants as they become “experts” in their field, and enables networking opportunities that contribute to long-term success in both their daily work and their career advancement. But just like any company, people come and go, so you can now join the certificate at any time and join with those currently studying and, as you make your way through, you'll welcome new students to the group. Our next official start of a full program is summer school!
Summer Starts Here
Seven months: June to December
The program has two components: course work and "The Project".
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FULL COURSE LIST. (Not all courses are taught in the certificate.)
Courses are provided over the course of eight months online.
The curriculum focuses on multiple areas of CED theory and practice, including:
- Economic reconciliation and Indigenous worldviews
- Ecosystem sustainability and resource-based economic development
- Circular and localist economies
- Social entrepreneurship and the social economy
- Community organizing and engagement for systemic change
- Economic resilience and recovery from disruption
- Tools and strategies for daily CED practice in the field
- Personal and professional development as a CED leader
Usually a rotating selection of 13 courses are offered each year, including "The Project" course. being mandatory for program completion. A full list of course descriptions can be found here, including those courses are offered for the 2023 program.
Each student in the CED Certificate program is asked to develop a final project that integrates all of the experiences and curriculum in the program, and
provides students with a “safe to fail, safe to succeed” space to try out what they have learned. The project includes three components:
1) Completion of a CED Project Canvas, which is a tool for mapping out a project at a high level.
2) Completion of a CED Project Brief, which helps describe a project’s elements and rationale
across a variety of categories.
3) Completion of a 10-minute in-class (online) presentation on the project.
While working on "The Project", you will have individual meetings with your mentor through the process.
Tuition & Fees
- Program tuition is $4,995. (Tax-free and a tuition tax form will be available at the appropriate time.)
- $75 non-refundable application fees
Want to take just one course?
Sure! You can join in with the certificate students for one, two or more courses. Here's what's coming up. Click on the titles to register.
Starting March 27: CED 228 Financing CED.
Starting April 10: CED 230 CED Approaches to Food
Starting May 29: CED 122 Economic Development for Well-being
Starting June 12: CED 123 Sustainable Development: People, Planet and Places
Starting July 10: CED 124 Locanomics 1: Principles for Community Prosperity
Starting July 24: CED 127 Resilience 1: Community Economic Resilience
The price for each course is $450; GST is not charged and an official tuition receipt is issued.
The courses are entirely online and taught through online video recordings you can access 24/7 once the course begins. As well, three online, live events occur during its three-week duration, all on Wednesdays during the three-week duration of the course:
*The first and third Wednesdays after the class begins, from 11:00 PT - 12:30 PT, chat hour (and a half!) with the Director (optional, there for your questions).
*The second Wednesday after the class begins (ten days from the stated start date) from 12:00 PT - 1:30 PT, Lunch & Learn with instructor or other expert in the field (highly recommended you attend live online).
If you decide you'd like to take the certificate in full, you can count these courses towards the certificate at any time.
F T I