Supported by the Toronto Stock Exchange, the TSX Venture Exchange, and the BC Securities Commission, this course will give you the information you need to comply with Canada’s complex system of securities regulation. Topics include fundamentals of corporate governance, securities law, shareholder communications and investor relations, financial statement requirements, obligations for company insiders, understanding TSX/TSX Venture Exchange requirements, and directors’ powers, functions, and liabilities.
Public Companies: Financing, Governance and Compliance
Note: Registration for the course beginning April 27 will close on April 24, 2017, at 4 p.m.
What will I learn?
This course will cover the following topics:
- Fundamentals of corporate governance
- Directors' powers, functions and liabilities
- Overview of securities law
- Effective shareholder communications and investor relations
- Financial statement requirements
- Obligations for company insiders
- Toronto Stock Exchange/TSX Venture Exchange requirements
- Acquisitions, financing and stock options
Who are my instructors?
Instructors and guest speakers include prominent members of the legal, accounting and business communities, as well as staff from the BC Securities Commission and the TSX Venture Exchange:
Charlotte Bell, TSX Venture Exchange
David Toyoda, Boughton Law Corporation
How will I learn?
You'll learn through hands-on work, discussion and participation. Enrolment is limited.
Who should take this course?
- Directors, officers, and senior managers of public companies
- Investor relations professionals
- Management consultants
- Lawyers, accountants and other professionals
Professional development credits
This course is supported by the Toronto Stock Exchange, the TSX Venture Exchange and the BC Securities Commission. The TSX Venture Exchange typically hosts a luncheon on the Friday of the course.
The Law Society of British Columbia has approved this course for its members' professional development.