Immigration Documents

In-Person Exchange Students - Spring 2022

This website contains general information and resources related to policies, procedures, and application processes. Please see below the updates pertaining to the Spring 2022 semester.

Based on IRCC’s recently-updated guidelines for short-term studies, if you will come to SFU for one term (less than 6 months) you are not required to have a study permit to legally study in Canada. However, under the current travel restrictions you may require a valid study permit or study permit approval letter to be allowed to enter Canada.

If you will come to SFU for a one-term exchange, you must either:

  • Qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller (click here to see if you qualify) and hold a valid travel document (temporary resident visa or eTA) to enter Canada as a visitor, or
  • Hold a valid study permit or study permit approval and a valid travel document (temporary resident visa or eTA - issued to you upon approval of your study permit application)

The decision on whether you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller will be made upon your arrival at the port of entry to Canada. For this reason we recommend that you apply for a study permit if possible.

If you will come to SFU for a two-term exchange, you must apply and be approved for a study permit before you travel. If you require a temporary resident visa or eTA, this will be issued when your study permit is approved outside Canada.

Note that travel restrictions and entry requirements are subject to change without notice. For the most up-to-date information on travelling to Canada, visit the Government of Canada website.

For the latest updates and specific information on COVID-19 including impacts on immigration applications (e.g. study permits, work permits, visas), travel restrictions, work eligibility, and medical insurance, please refer to the:


Students Under 19: Custodianship

Students younger than 17 years of age who come to Canada to study and who are not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian must be cared for by a responsible adult in Canada. This person is known as a custodian.

In some cases, a custodian may also be required for students between 17 and 19 years of age (this is the age of majority in British Columbia); this decision is made at the discretion of an immigration officer. Legal arrangements must be made to give the custodian in Canada permission to act in place of a parent. Please see IRCC's "Studying in Canada - Minors" page for more information and required forms.

If you need assistance finding a custodian, consider approaching an extended family member living in British Columbia first and then, if necessary, a family friend or business associate for assistance. Alternatively, there are companies that provide such services for a fee. One such company is First Choice International Placement Inc. (contact information provided on the right)

First Choice International Placement Inc.

Tel: 1.604.984.0868
Fax: 1.604.984.2373

The company listed above is neither endorsed by, nor affiliated with, Simon Fraser University. This information is simply listed as a resource for students looking for agent services. Simon Fraser University assumes no liability for any disputes arising from custodianship or other services advertised. You and your parents should be aware that you will need to pay for this service and it should be an arrangement they, and you, have researched and feel comfortable with.