Immigration Documents

In-Person Exchange Students - Spring 2022

This website contains general information and resources related to policies, procedures, and application processes. Please see below the updates pertaining to the Spring 2022 semester.

Based on IRCC’s recently-updated guidelines for short-term studies, if you will come to SFU for one term (less than 6 months) you are not required to have a study permit to legally study in Canada. However, under the current travel restrictions you may require a valid study permit or study permit approval letter to be allowed to enter Canada.

If you will come to SFU for a one-term exchange, you must either:

  • Qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller (click here to see if you qualify) and hold a valid travel document (temporary resident visa or eTA) to enter Canada as a visitor, or
  • Hold a valid study permit or study permit approval and a valid travel document (temporary resident visa or eTA - issued to you upon approval of your study permit application)

The decision on whether you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller will be made upon your arrival at the port of entry to Canada. For this reason we recommend that you apply for a study permit if possible.

If you will come to SFU for a two-term exchange, you must apply and be approved for a study permit before you travel. If you require a temporary resident visa or eTA, this will be issued when your study permit is approved outside Canada.

Note that travel restrictions and entry requirements are subject to change without notice. For the most up-to-date information on travelling to Canada, visit the Government of Canada website.

For the latest updates and specific information on COVID-19 including impacts on immigration applications (e.g. study permits, work permits, visas), travel restrictions, work eligibility, and medical insurance, please refer to the:


US Students: Apply at Port of Entry

You have the option of submitting your study permit application upon your arrival at a Canadian Port of Entry (e.g. your airport of arrival or land crossing into Canada) if you are:

  • a citizen or permanent resident of the United States,
  • a resident of Greenland, or
  • a resident of St. Pierre and Miquelon

Fill out the application form in advance and prepare the required documentation to present upon arrival. You will need proof of citizenship, a secondary piece of official identification, your official letter of acceptance (also known as an admission letter) from SFU, the application fee and proof of sufficient funds.

If you are not a US citizen, in most cases you will be required to give your biometrics upon arrival at the port of entry to Canada. Visit the IRCC website to find out if you will need to give your biometrics.