Plan your Trip

In-Person Exchange Students

This website contains general information and resources. For more information, please refer to the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS.

What to Pack

Important Documents

Before your departure, make sure that all your important documents are in order. Make photocopies of important original documents and leave one copy with your family or friends at home and keep the other copy in your suitcase, separate from the original documents that you must carry with you. These are typical documents you might expect to bring with you to Canada:

  • Valid passport and/or official government-issued identification
  • Letter of Introduction (if you have applied for a study permit) confirming the approval of your Study Permit from a Canadian Embassy or Consulate
  • Temporary Resident Visa (if required for your country)
  • SFU Exchange / Study Abroad admission letter
  • Updated official transcript from your home university
  • Proof of funds available
  • Marriage certificate and/or proof of common-law status (if applicable)
  • Identification document with photo
  • International driver’s license, driving insurance records, vehicle registration and insurance papers (if applicable)
  • Medical records and immunization records, translated (if applicable)
  • Credit card(s)
  • Two years of official school records for your school-age children (if applicable)

Clothing and Household Items

Vancouver has one of the most temperate climates in Canada, with much milder winters than those experienced by other major Canadian cities. Check out The Weather Network for typical temperatures throughout the year.

Many household items are included in residence housing. For a complete list of what is included and what you should bring, visit the SFU Residence and Housing website.  If you will be living off-campus, check with your landlord to see what is/is not included in your housing.