- About Us
- Contact Us
- Equity & Inclusion
- About Us
- Student Support
- Staff Support
- Employer Support
- LEARN AND EARN ↗
- GENERAL SFU EDI Support ↗
- Equity & Inclusion (Redirect to JEI)
- CEO for a Day 2021
- Other Opportunities
- Grants and Awards for Students
- Giveaways and Activities
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion International Mobility Award
Expanding access, diversity, and support to SFU's international learning opportunities.
The Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion International Mobility Award (EDI IMA) is part of the Global Skills Opportunity, funded by the Government of Canada’s Outbound Student Mobility Pilot Program. The EDI IMA has been created to increase the participation of underrepresented Canadian students (including permanent residents and students with refugee status) in international learning opportunities.
A key feature of this award is that students can apply before or after being approved for one of the eligible international programs. The award allows students to apply for funding up to four terms in advance of a proposed study/work term.
NOTE: The EDI IMA is only a financial assistance award for students. Students still need to secure a co-op placement themselves. Please carefully read the information below.
To be eligible for this award, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status as defined by the Government of Canada;
- be enrolled full-time in an SFU Bachelor's (undergraduate) degree program in any faculty in the term of eligibility. Full-time for all academic terms is at least 9 SFU units, unless registered with the Centre for Accessible Learning (CAL) for a reduced course load. Verification will be required in the term of eligibility for your international learning opportunity. Students enrolled in a Co-op work term are considered full-time students by the University.
- be in good academic standing (a minimum 2.00 CGPA);
- Be 18 years of age or older by the program departure date, as required by the Global Skills Opportunities program; and
- self-identify as one of the following populations: low-income, student with disabilities, or Indigenous student.
- be accepted and enrolled in an eligible international learning opportunity in the term of eligibility. *
Eligible International Learning Opportunities:
- an International Co-operative Education term or an approved Work Integrated Learning Opportunity (virtual or in-person) administered by SFU Work Integrated Learning;
- an SFU Formal Exchange Program or Field School (virtual or in-person), outside of Canada, administered through International Services for Students;
- an academic credit-bearing study abroad program approved by the Senate Committee on International Activities; or
- an SFU Virtual Global Learning activity in a credit bearing course at SFU.
* Unless registered with the Center for Accessible Learning (CAL) for a reduced course load. Verification will be required in the term of eligibility for your international learning opportunity.
** In the term that you are accepted/enrolled at SFU for your international learning opportunity
*** Due to scheduled application deadline dates, all Co-op students are encouraged to apply to the EDI-IMA mobility award prior to your work term being confirmed by your employer so as to not miss out on the funding opportunity.
NOTE: Students are only able to receive funding once (e.g., for Co-op or exchange or field schools).
Award selection is based on meeting eligibility, needs and character-based criteria, and the demonstration of a high desire to learn, rather than your academic standing. See the application site for full details. After the deadline, submitted applications will be reviewed anonymously by the EDI IMA Review Committee. If successful, conditional award nominations will be sent four to six weeks after the deadline for your approved/proposed term and international learning opportunity. You must still meet eligibility and selection requirements for your specific international learning opportunity.
The number of awards funded for each deadline period will depend on the applicant pool.
HOW TO APPLY
Step 1: Create your profile for the EDI IMA with your SFU email address here.
Step 2: Review eligibility and selection criteria and begin application
Step 3: Complete and upload a budget worksheet
Step 4: Respond to the application questions
Step 5: Submit application by deadline for earliest program term
NOTE: The application process listed above includes all International Co-op opportunities.
Please check the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion International Mobility Award website for the next application deadlines.
VALUE OF AWARD
Multiple awards will be given to undergraduate students in the following amounts in $CAD.
- Virtual programs (1+ weeks): $1,000.00
- Short term programs in person (1-4 weeks): $1,000.00- $3,000.00
- Medium term programs in person (5-16 weeks): up to $7,000.00
- Long term programs in person (17+ weeks): up to $10,000.00
Please contact Nina Inaoka Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding the EDI IMA.
Please contact Amy Lee at email@example.com for any questions regarding International Co-op.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I apply for any other funding options?
Yes, there are many funding options through SFU Financial Aid and Awards that are available!
In addition to this award you may also consider applying for loans, bursaries, and scholarships for undergraduate students. Please apply by these application deadlines in the term of your international learning opportunity.
For program specific funding please visit the following sites:
Am I eligible for this funding if I receive another Study Abroad Award or Work Integrated Learning award?
Yes, the EDI IMA is a stand-alone award and is not connected to other SFU award funding. The EDI IMA is not included in the Suite of Study Abroad Awards or possible International Co-op awards.
Do I need to be enrolled full time (9 units) or registered with CAL for a reduced course load to apply for the EDI IMA?
No, you do not need to be enrolled full-time to apply for the EDI IMA. However you must be enrolled full time, or have accommodations for a reduced course load with the Centre for Accessible Learning, in the term you are registered/approved for your international learning program (eg. exchange, field school, international co-op, etc.).
What if I do a part-time, short-term program, do I still need to have full time enrollment?
Yes, a part-time international learning opportunity may be eligible, so long as you are enrolled in additional SFU courses to equate to full time studies in the term of eligibility (e.g. short-term exchange (6 SFU units) & part-time SFU course (3 SFU units) = 9 SFU units total). This definition of full-time is only applicable to the EDI IMA. Other study/work abroad awards at SFU, such as the general IMA may require that the international learning opportunity itself be a full-time program.
If you are registered with CAL for a reduced course load the part-time international learning opportunity would contribute to your total units for your reduced course load.
Can I receive an EDI IMA for two different in-person programs? For example, both an International Co-op and an Exchange?
You may only receive a maximum one EDI IMA for an in-person international learning opportunity per lifetime. Virtual programs are separate and you may apply for a separate EDI IMA for virtual ILOs.
If I have two consecutive exchange terms or international co-op work terms, is that considered long term?
Two consecutive exchange terms at one institution, or international co-op work term is considered a long term program. However for two separate exchanges at two different institutions, you will only be considered for one of the exchange program terms, and award value will depend on the duration of your program length for a single program or ILO.