- About Us
- Accessibility Resource
- Contact Us
- CEO for a Day!
- Funding and Awards
- HireSFU ↗
C.A.R.E. SFU Global Travel Award
Funding for SFU Students Volunteering or Pursuing Co-op Abroad
Are you thinking of working or volunteering abroad with a not-for-profit organization? There is a new award to help get you there! C.A.R.E. Society distributes and donates Asia Miles points to make air travel possible for civic engagement; international service learning; and humanitarian work in developing countries and disaster areas including health rehabilitation, development and reconstruction projects in areas served by Asia Miles worldwide partner airlines.
Since we launched this program in 2010, over 45 students have been awarded to date. Our award recipients have been volunteering for non-profit organizations located in many countries such as Bolivia, India, Bangladesh, Tanzania, and South Africa.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible, students must be volunteering for a not-for-profit organization and completing some form of humanitarian aid.
All registered SFU students are eligible.
- Project commitments must be a minimum of 1 month in length, but longer project commitments are preferred.
- Project commitments should involve direct, hands-on community engagement.
- Applicants must be flexible on departure dates and be prepared that their flights are unlikely to be direct and only to the closest airport served by Asia Miles worldwide partner airlines.
- Students will be responsible for any travel from that airport to their destination.
- All applications received will be reviewed by a joint SFU and C.A.R.E.committee.
How to Apply?
Work Integrated Learning (WIL)
Maggie Benston Centre 1150
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Apply EARLY as requested flights are subject to availability. All flight bookings will be done by a C.A.R.E. staff member. Tickets can be booked one year in advance so apply EARLY for a better chance of getting the flights you prefer.
- Students will be responsible for all applicable taxes on flights.
- Students will be charged a penalty fee for changes or cancellations after flights have been booked by C.A.R.E.
- Students will be responsible for obtaining necessary visa/work permit or other documentation prior to travelling.
- Students receiving this award will be required to participate in the Bridging International Learning (BIL) program run through the International Co-operative Education program, regardless of whether the program is a Co-op placement.
- Students must submit a report (approximately 800 words) with photos and/or video within one month of returning from overseas to C.A.R.E. (by not submitting a report, students jeopardize future opportunities for SFU students volunteering with the same organization).
Read about five students who traveled to Cape Town, South Africa thanks to C.A.R.E. on SFU OLC.