- About Us
- Contact Us
- Equity & Inclusion
- About Us
- Student Support
- Staff Support
- Employer Support
- LEARN AND EARN ↗
- GENERAL SFU EDI Support ↗
- Equity & Inclusion (Redirect to JEI)
- CEO for a Day 2021
- Other Opportunities
- Grants and Awards for Students
- Giveaways and Activities
The Aga Khan University’s (AKU) Global Mobility Programmes are focused on providing work-integrated learning opportunities with experience in the career field of your choice. AKU offers virtual or on-site programmes that will build your skillsets, expand your cultural horizons and establish a network of contacts as you begin your professional journey.
Why choose AKU's On-Site Internship Programme?
Launched in 2008, AKU’s International Internship Programme (AKU-IIP) provides undergraduate, graduate, and freshly graduated students with opportunities to engage in international experiences through on-site internship placements in countries where AKDN has a presence. The focus remains on quality, and skills-based experiences, that ensure interns develop strong cross-cultural competencies, communications and critical thinking skills, ethical frameworks, and leadership development.
AKU-IIP works closely with programme mentors, the local community, University partners, and interns. A key strategy for sustaining results is the participatory and inclusive approach of the programme through strong internship planning, implementation, and ongoing development.
Reasons to apply:
- Learn in a culturally immersive atmosphere
- Gain invaluable professional experiences
- Expand your network globally
Why choose AKU's Virtual Internship Programme?
The Aga Khan University’s Virtual Internship Program (AKU-VIP) provides you with a one-of-a-kind virtual placement to build valuable skills and enhance your cross-cultural competencies through work opportunities with diverse teams in more than 14 countries.
*No international travel is required, students can work remotely from home.
The placements are offered remotely with AKU offices in East Africa, South and Central Asia, Europe and North America with the international development agencies of The Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN).
The programs aim to provide a critical learning opportunity that goes beyond simple work experience and instead focuses on thinking outside of the box, developing strong leadership skills, being critically reflexive, and learning new ways of doing things in new environments.
Reasons to apply:
- Help provide solutions to real world projects
- Receive one-on-one mentorship support from AKU supervisors
- Receive professional reference letters
- Gain international learning experience and grow your Linkedin Network
- Work in a professional virtual environment outside of the classroom
- Students in underrepresented groups may be eligible for the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion International Mobility Award (EDI IMA)
- Students may be eligible for the SFU International Co-op Award
- Students may be eligible for the International Co-op Bursary
Featuring Azim and Evan
A conversation with current AKU-VIP interns on their internship experience and key takeaways from their respective placements.
Explore @aku.iip's page on Instagram for more information, and watch SFU SEE student Evan McFee share his key takeaways from his placement on Instagram Live.