The main purposes of the SFU Black Caucus include:
- To promote the recognition and acknowledgement of the Black and African presence at SFU, and their contributions to the University historically and contemporaneously.
- In furtherance of the University’s commitment to EDI:
- To support and facilitate the recruitment/admission, retention, academic excellence, and graduation of Black/African students at SFU.
- To promote the recruitment, retention, professional development, and career.
- Advancement of Black/African faculty and staff at SFU.
- To work with relevant University offices/bodies to address systemic and institutional barriers to equity and inclusion of Black/African faculty, staff, and students in all aspects of the University.
- To foster community among SFU’s Black and African faculty, staff, and students and alumni.
- To advise the University’s senior administrators, including the President, on matters related to Black faculty, staff, and students on campus.