Frequently Asked Questions

Declaring a LBST Minor or Certificate

1. What do I need to do to declare a LBST minor or certificate program?

If you have completed or are registered in the last of the lower division requirements, and your CGPA is 2.0 or above, contact LBST advising by emailing Please include your full name and student number everytime you contact an advisor. Make sure to specify which program you want to declare (minor or certificate)

What do I need to do to declare a LBST major?

Students who have completed one undergraduate Labour Studies course may declare their major in Labour Studies by contacting our advisor Please include your full name and student number every time you contact an advisor. Make sure to specify that you'd like to declare the major.


2. How do I apply to graduate?

Students MUST apply for graduation via goSFU. You can apply through your Student Services Centre on goSFU starting in the first week of your last term of classes, with the early deadline being approximately 6 weeks into the term.  Please see Student Services for further information.

3. Wondering how close you are to completing your degree?

We are happy to review your degree progress for you. You may send an e-mail with your SFU student number to

*Please note that the degree progress report generated by goSFU does not work for our programs. Always consult with an advisor to check your degree progress.

Transferred Courses

4. How many courses can I transfer from a different school?

Under the Bachelor of Arts, students can have a maximum of 60 transfer credits. No more than 15 upper division credits can be used towards completion of your major or degree. Refer to the SFU Calendar for further information regarding transfer credit. Students who wish to attend a university outside of Canada are advised to contact SFU International.

5. How can I find out whether a course will transfer to SFU?

Most BC college courses have been articulated at the BC universities and are listed in the BC Transfer Guide. Students who have completed courses at universities or colleges outside of BC can contact Admissions in Student Services ( to ask whether and how a course has been articulated at SFU. Students transferring courses to SFU should be prepared to submit the detailed course syllabus for each course they wish to transfer to SFU.

6. What does it mean if I receive transfer credit such as LBST 1xx? Or GE 1xx?

If a course does not have the same content as a course at SFU, you may still be able to obtain transfer credit. LBST 1xx or 2xx means that you have been given lower division credit, and LBST 3xx or SA 4xx means that you have been given upper division credit in the Labour Studies Program.

Transfer courses designated as, for example, LBST 3XX cannot be used for specific requirements, such as a specific course or a course of a specific designation, but can be used towards SA non-designation-specific elective requirements.

GE 1xx means that the course is not the same as any department’s courses but you have received SFU lower division credits towards your degree.  

7. Can I go back to a college to take a course if I am already going to SFU?

Yes, but only in rare and exceptional circumstances. You must apply for a Letter of Permission (LOP) through the Registrar’s office if you wish to complete a course for transfer credit. A Letter of Permission may take 6 – 8 weeks to process, and even longer for out-of-country courses. Many schools require an approved Letter of Permission before allowing you to register at their school. Plan early if you intend to apply for a Letter of Permission.

Letters of Permission are not granted because of academic difficulty--i.e., you cannot take a course at another institution because you think it will be easier.


8. How do I add a course or swap a tutorial during week 1 of classes?

All adds, drops, and swaps are done by the student via goSFU.

9. If I am registered for a course but want to switch tutorials to one that is currently full, how can I do that?

If you try to switch tutorials and the one you want is full, with or without a wait list, you will be dropped from the course and put into the last spot on the wait list for the tutorial you want. You cannot be enrolled in the lecture and without also being enrolled in a tutorial group.

You can get in touch with the SA advisors in the first week of classes, and we can see then if it is possible to switch you into your preferred tutorial.

10. How do I add a course or swap a tutorial during weeks 2 or 3 of classes?

GoSFU closes to adds and swaps at the end of week 1 of classes. The advisor’s office will continue to honour the waitlist until the end of week 2. Please contact the Advisor ( if you are first on the waitlist in week 2 and a space becomes available.

If a space becomes available in week 3, and if you have been attending classes, you may email the advisor to enquire about being added into the course – note that adds in week 3 are not possible for all courses, and require written permission from the instructor. Any adds in week 3 are handled on a first-come first-served basis.

11. If a course is full, can I get on the wait list?

Yes, waitlists exist for all SA courses. If you are unable to access the wait list, it usually means it is full and you would have to keep checking to see when a space opens up before your wait list request would be fulfilled. The advisor will not hold separate wait lists for students unable to access the computerized wait list.

If you want to be placed on the wait list for a course, make sure you select "wait list if class is full" when adding the course to your enrollment cart. You can see where to select this option here.

* Please note that wait lists only run automatically until the end of the first week of classes. During week 2, waitlists remain visible and honoured by the department.

12. I was first on the wait list and a spot came up but I was not moved into the class. Why not?

Occasionally, waitlisted students are unable to move up the list for one of three reasons:

1) Students are waitlisted by tutorial group in lower division courses. If a spot comes available and you were not moved up, then it is because the spot came open in a different tutorial from the one you were wait listed for. You will only move forward if a space opens up in the same tutorial group for which you are wait listed.

2) Students who have a course or exam conflict with the course they are currently waitlisted for cannot move into the class. You must ensure the courses you are enrolled in do not have a conflict with the course you are waitlisted for.

3) Students will not be automatically be enrolled in a course from the waitlist if doing so would cause the student to exceed the maximum term enrollment limit of 18 units.

13. I can see there are open seats in a class, but when I try to enroll, it say I don't meet reserve requirements. I do have the prerequisite. What does this mean?

Some courses have enrollment reserves on some or all of the seats, meaning that those seats are reserved for specific student groups, such as declared majors or minors, until open enrollment.

Another reason you receive this message might be that the course is an SFU NOW course.

SFU NOW is a program that gives students who work full-time priority access to evening and weekend classes. Learn more about this program and see if you qualify.

SFU NOW courses are reserved until open enrollment for SFU NOW students. SFU NOW courses have the section number J100.

Advisors cannot bump students into these classes ahead of these reserves in any circumstances.

If you want to get into a course that is currently reserved, put yourself on the waitlist. If there is room in the course once open enrollment comes (after the third week of enrollment), you'll be moved in.

14. How can I drop a course?

Students can drop course on the goSFU system until the end of week 5 of classes. Students must consult the current Undergraduate Schedule for the course add/drop deadlines, refunds, penalties, and notations. You can also consult the Registration section of the SFU Calendar. For information on withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances, please view Withdrawals.

Academic Difficulty

15. How many times can I repeat courses?

Repeated courses are referred to as ‘duplicates’ and you are permitted a total of five duplications (repeats) at SFU, and you may duplicate a specific course only once. Duplications taken previously at other institutions are not counted; however if you repeat a course at SFU which you already took elsewhere that does count as a repeat. Exceptions are rarely granted, and must be approved by the LBST Program Director, and the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.

16. If I feel I have been graded unfairly, what can I do?

First plan of action is to discuss your concerns with the course instructor.

Secondly, if you feel you have been graded unfairly you may register a written appeal, including all original marked assignments, to be reviewed independently by another instructor and the Chair of the department.

Before commencing an appeal, you must read the policies and procedures related to grades and appeals. Please be aware that if you request a grade appeal, your course work may receive the same grade, a lower grade, or a higher grade after the re-evaluation.