Peer Education Program
The Peer Education Program is a unique and collaborative opportunity for students to come together and lead initiatives that engage the student body. Designed to raise awareness of SFU Public Square and its community engagement activities, this is an opportunity to stimulate conversations with other students on the issues that matter most.
Connect with fellow students who have similar passions, create space for peers to have crucial dialogue, inspire action and learn more about the student experience across all three campuses and online.
How to apply
Applications are now closed for the fall 2021–spring 2022 Peer Education Program cohort.
Our next recruitment period will begin in summer 2022.
Why become a Peer Educator?
Joining our team as a Peer Educator will allow students to:
- Develop leadership and interpersonal skills while collaborating with a dynamic team
- Meet like-minded individuals who share a passion for student engagement
- Enhance your understanding in marketing, promotions and event planning through workshops and training
- Apply your knowledge and skills to a real-life project with resources and support from the SFU Public Square team
- Receive performance feedback from your supervisor to support your personal and professional development goals
- Receive recognition on your co-curricular record, as well as letters of recommendation
Who can join the program?
This opportunity is open to all SFU students of all identities and experiences. The Peer Education program is intended to create space for student voices to be heard, amplified and empowered within the university. This includes those who have historically been left out of conversations and decision-making processes within the institution—for example, people with disabilities, Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC), and people who identify as 2SLGBTQIA+.
What is required?
- The role will require a time commitment of approximately 5-10 hours a week for two terms.
- All Peer Educators must be available to attend 2.5-hour weekly meetings on Tuesday afternoons from 2:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. These meetings may require in-person attendance at the SFU Public Square office in downtown Vancouver.
Connect with us!
If you have any additional questions about the program, please contact Seth Erais, Program Manager at email@example.com.
Past Peer Educator Events
Join the SFU Public Square Peer Ambassadors for a student-focused event on how to improve the online education experience under COVID-19.
In a digital age of fake news, alternative facts, media echo chambers, confirmation bias, and algorithm-fuelled virality, how can we as students navigate our way around our distorted media landscape? What does it mean now to be informed?