Contact Student Services Academic Advising
Is this service right for me?
This service is for you if you are
- A newly admitted student;
- An undergraduate student with fewer than 60 units and undeclared;
- An undergraduate student who is experiencing academic difficulty; or
- An undergraduate student with fewer than 60 units, declared, and wanting to change your major.
Advising services options
Please choose from one of the following:
Option 1: Live Help
This is a secure online instant messaging system where you can connect with an Academic Advisor just as you would through MSN or Yahoo Messenger.
LiveHelp hours are:
- Monday-Friday: 9:00 am - 10:30 am and 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm*
*Note: LiveHelp hours are extended during the enrollment periods in March, July, and November. Extended hours:
- Monday-Friday: 9:00 am - 12:30 pm and 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm
>> Go to LiveHelp.
Option 2: Drop-in Advising
15-minute drop-in advising is available for quick, course planning questions.
Drop-ins are available at the Surrey and Burnaby campuses. Please see the drop-in advising calendar for hours available*
Note: During the enrollment period in March, July, and November, 15-minute drop-ins are not available. See Option 3 below for available advising appointments.
- You must bring your SFU Student ID to reserve a spot
- You can sign up for a drop-in time no earlier than 30 minutes before the start of the drop-in advising period.
- You are not guaranteed a drop-in time.
- Each student's eligibility for a drop-in time will be determined by the Academic Advisor.
- Drop-in times are subject to change without notice.
Option 3: Book an Appointment
To ensure that you see the right advisor for your needs, see below for the advising services offered through Student Services. When booking an appointment, please state the main reason for the appointment:
Academic difficulty (all undergraduate students)
Course and program planning
* excluding: upper division questions, graduation, honours, second degrees, and post-baccalaureate diplomas (see the department)