Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarships (USES)
We imagine you have questions about how best to prepare for the USES application. Please see below for an overview of what to expect and advice for completing your scholarship application.
Minimum requirements to be considered for the USES
- Applying to SFU for the Fall term
- Currently completing final year of high school OR graduated from high school in the past year and have not enrolled in any post-secondary courses
- Meet admission requirements to primary program choice in any SFU faculty
- Have grades in the 90% range OR 31 IB points, excluding predicted bonus points, in courses required for admission to primary program
- Demonstrate excellence in both academic and extracurricular activities
- Can have two complete references – due by January 31, 2024
- Can complete all items on Student Centre To Do List – due by January 31, 2024
If you meet all the requirements above, you are encouraged to apply for the USES!
What is included in the application process
The following provides a summary of what you can expect to complete as part of the SFU Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarships (USES) application:
- Community Involvement & achievements - you will list and be asked to reflect on, up to 5 extra-curricular activities and achievements such as volunteer, work, athletics, arts or other personal achievements. You will also be able to list any awards you have received.
- Essay - a short essay describing how your personal experiences shaped your outlook on life and how this connects to your future at SFU. (500 words)
- References – you will be asked provide contact information for two referees who have direct knowledge of information you provided in your application such as your academics, extra-curricular activities or personal achievements. The two people you list will be contacted directly via email by SFU once you submit your application. Referees will not be required to submit any documents, but will each be sent a link to the online reference form.
- Academic reference – a high school counsellor, teacher or administrator who best knows your academic ability
- Community Involvement and Achievements reference – someone in a supervisory role who can comment on at least one of the extra-curricular activities you listed. This cannot be a peer or a family member.
- Additional Information – optional section where you can describe your financial circumstances
How to prepare for the application
As you prepare to submit your USES Application, please review the following tips:
- Start thinking about your application now, including who would be the most suitable referees to support your application. Reach out to them and ask for their permission to list them on your application ahead of time.
- Read through the whole application first before starting to respond. Before you start writing, spend time reflecting on how your experiences – both challenges and achievements – have shaped who you are today.
- Take your time. Save your written responses in a word processor (e.g. Microsoft Word) as you work. While you can save responses in the application itself, it is helpful to have a record of your responses and use spell check!
- You can return to your application and saved responses by using the application link. You will be prompted to log in each time you return.
- Plan ahead and be prepared for any logistical considerations, such as applying comfortably before the deadline to minimize the risk of missing it due to last-minute problems.
Scholarship values - domestic applicants
Fall 2024: For Canadian/Permanent Resident Applicants Only
|Surrey Close to Home Entrance Scholarship||
|8 payments of $2,500|
|The Shein and Amynmohamed Rajan Family Undergraduate Entrance Scholarship in Computing Science||$40,000||8 payments of $5,000|
|The Darcy and Karina Biagioni Family Entrance Scholarship||
8 payments of $7,500
|Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarship||$40,000||8 payments of $5,000|
Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarship and Scholars Living Allowance
|$40,000 + $8,000 per term||8 payments of $5,000 + $8,000 per term|
Scholarship values - international applicants
Fall 2024: For International Applicants Only
|International Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarship||$140,000||8 payments of $17,500|
|International Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarship and Scholars Living Allowance||$140,000 + $8,000 per term||8 payments of $17,500 + $8,000 per term|
Priority access to residence
Students who applied to residence will receive priority for the Fall term and in subsequent terms if they wish to live in residence
'Front of the line' course enrollment priority
Students have priority access to course enrollment for the duration of their entrance scholarship
Beedie School of Business Applicants - READ ME
If your USES application meets the minimum requirements to be considered for USES, you are not required to submit the Supplemental Application for admission to your program. Your USES application will be reviewed in lieu of the Supplemental Application for admission to your program as well as the awarding of USES.
Applicants who submit USES applications which do not meet the minimum requirements will be contacted and required to submit the Supplemental Application required for admission to their program at a later date. This includes paying the Supplemental Application fee required by the program, if applicable.
See the table below for what course of action(s) to take based on your circumstance.
I am a Beedie applicant and want to apply for the scholarship competition.
|I have:||Course of Action|
|Not started my Supplemental Application or SFU USES Scholarship application||Complete the SFU USES Scholarship application only by the application deadline. You do not need to complete the Supplemental Application if you submit a complete scholarship application.|
|Completed my Supplemental Application and have not started my SFU USES Scholarship Application||You will need to complete the SFU USES Scholarship application if you wish to be considered for a USES scholarship. The substitution only works one way.|
|Not started my Supplemental Application and have completed my SFU USES Scholarship Application||No further action required. Your SFU USES Scholarship application will be used in lieu of your Supplemental Application for admission purposes.|
Fall 2024 Application Timeline
|October 1, 2023||SFU USES application opens. Applicants will need to apply to SFU first and have their SFU student number to access the scholarship application.|
|December 15, 2023||Deadline to apply for SFU USES|
|January 31, 2024||Supporting Documentation deadline. This includes references and all admission items on the To Do List|
|February - March 2024||USES applications reviewed and evaluated|
|March - May 2024||USES winners announced|
Application Period for Fall 2024:
October 1, 2023 - December 15, 2023
Supporting Documents* Deadline:
January 31, 2024
*This includes an academic reference, a community involvement reference, and all admission items on the To Do List