Entrance - New Students
College or University Transfers
University transfer scholarships do not require an application. Recipients are automatically considered.
Entrance Scholarships - No Application Required
Each Fall, SFU offers automatic transfer entrance scholarships to the top domestic and international SFU applicants who are admitted as University Transfer students and meet the eligibility requirements found below.
University Transfer Entrance Scholarship
- Value: minimum $3,000
- Number: Varies (approximately 5)
- Citizenship: Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents of Canada, or International Citizens
- Term: Fall only
- Must be admitted as a Canadian University Transfer student
Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents also have access to other financial opportunities including government Student Loans, undergraduate SFU Awards, SFU Bursaries, and the SFU Work-Study program in their first term.
You may also qualify to apply for the BC Scholarship Society Transfer Scholarship, valued at $5000. This is an externally-administered scholarship (not done through SFU). Application and deadlines to apply are managed by the Society. To learn more about this exciting opportunity, please visit their website - https://www.bcscholarshipsociety.ca/transfer-scholarships/am-i-eligible/
US applicants, please click here for additional information on US-specific resources.
International Citizens studying at SFU also have access to other financial opportunities such as SFU Awards, SFU Bursaries and the SFU Work-Study program. Employment options are also available; to find out more, visit International Services for Students.
The University assumes that students will arrange their own funding to meet immigration requirements for the issuance and/or renewal of student authorizations and visas. An offer of admission to SFU is not an offer of financial support. Bursaries administered by SFU, awarded on the basis of financial need, are provided as supplemental funding and cannot be used for the core funding required to meet immigration requirements.
Indigenous Awards - Application Required
Indigenous Undergraduate Student Entrance Award
- Value: $5,000 (one installment)
- Number: varies
- Citizenship: Canadian Indigenous
- Term: Fall only
- Applicants will have demonstrated involvement within the Indigenous community through service and/or cultural contribution. Recipients would demonstrate this through their commitment to engagement, leadership and social justice within their community and would be selected based on their ability to demonstrate how their current and future experience(s) are inclusive of the 4Rs (Kirkness & Barnhardt, 1991): Respect, Relevance, Reciprocity, and Responsibility.
Supporting Documents Required:
- One (1) Community Reference Letter
- Documentation of your Indigenous heritage: photocopy or scan of your Status or Métis card (front & back)
For those who do not have membership or documentation that verifies Indigenous ancestry for various reasons (i.e., due to colonization, displacement, non-status, adoption, etc.), we acknowledge that this may be a difficult or upsetting process. We will make every effort to ensure it is done in a culturally safe and trauma-informed way. Please contact the Indigenous Student Recruitment team, at email@example.com, or call (778) 782-5428 for support.
Application Period for Fall 2024:
November 1, 2023 - March 31, 2024