Aboriginal Steering Committee
Below is a list of the members of the Aboriginal Steering Committee for Simon Fraser University. This committee list includes on-campus members — senior administration, faculty, staff, elder(s), and student representation — as well as, off-campus community members from Aboriginal organizations, local First Nations, and government. This list will be amended as required/requested when committee members change.
In no particular order, the current Aboriginal Steering Committee for Simon Fraser University is composed of the following members:
On-Campus Aboriginal Steering Committee Members:
- Professor Andrew Petter, President & Vice Chancellor.
- Dr. Jon Driver, Vice President-Academic and Provost.
- Dr. Joanne Curry, Vice President-External.
- Ms. Rummana Khan Hemani, Vice Provost & Associate Vice President-Students.
- Mr. Ron Johnston, Acting Director, Pro Tem, Office for Aboriginal Peoples.
- Mr. Gary George, Officer for Community Relations and Ms. Karen Matthews, Administrative Assistant, Office for Aboriginal Peoples (Secretary/Recorder, Aboriginal Steering Committee).
- Dr. Deanna Reder, Chair, Indigenous Studies Department
- Dr. Jennifer Spear, Associate Professor, Chair, (Faculty of History Representative)
- Dr. Glenn Chapman, Director, School of Engineering Science (Faculty of Applied Sciences representative).
- tba (Faculty of Business representative).
- Dr. Mary Catherine Kropinski (Faculty of Science representative).
- Dr. Vicki Kelly, Associate Professor, Faculty of Education (Faculty of Education faculty representative), Director, Indigenous Research Institute.
- Jennie Blankinship, Acting Director, Office for Indigenous Education, Faculty of Education (Faculty of Education administrative representative).
- Nicole Manson, Indigenous Academic & Student Liaison (Faculty of Communication, Art & Technology representative).
- Dr. Cliff Atleo (Faculty of Environment representative).
- Elder's representative (rotating).
- Ms. Marcia Guno, Director, Indigenous Student Centre (Indigenous Student Centre representative).
- Ms. Judy Smith, Director, Community Education Programs, Life Long Learning (Community Education Programs, Lifelong Learning representative).
- Ms. Jenna Walsh, Indigenous Initiatives Librarian, SFU Library (SFU Library representative).
- First Nations Student Association (Two positions - rotates annually).
- Dr. Jeff Derksen, Dean, Graduate Studies
Off-Campus/Community Aboriginal Steering Committee Members:
- Dr. John Borrows, Canada Research Chair in Indigenous Law, University of Victoria and Visiting Professor, SFU Faculty of Business.
- Ms. Lyn Daniels, Aboriginal District Principal, Surrey School District.
- Ms. Lisa Paull, Post Secondary Student Advocate, Squamish Nation.
- Ms. Angela George, Director of Community Development, Tsleil-Waututh Nation.
- Ms. Tammy Harkey, Councillor, Musqueam Nation.
Note: Any questions concerning the committee can be directed to Mr. Ron Johnston, Acting Director, Office for Aboriginal Peoples & Chair, Aboriginal Steering Committee, Simon Fraser University (at firstname.lastname@example.org).