Contact Academic Advising

Have you declared a major?

If yes, please see contact information for your program/departmental advisor.

First Nations, M├ętis, or Inuit student?

For all Indigenous Student Academic Advising please visit:

Choose from Three Options:

Please choose from the following three options if you have not declared a major, are a newly admitted student, or are experiencing academic difficulty.

Option 1: Live Help

This is a secure online instant messaging system where you can ask for help just as you would use MSN or Yahoo Messenger. Currently, our LiveHelp hours are:

  • Monday-Friday: 9am-10:30am and 1:30pm-3:00pm
  • Saturday: 9am-10:30am

Please see our online advising and drop-in advising calendar for a full schedule.

Click here to go to LiveHelp.

Option 2: Drop-in Advising

Got a quick question to ask? Fifteen minute appointment times are available at the following locations:

  • Student Central
  • Surrey Advising Centre for underclared students with quick program and course planning questions

Note: For specific dates and times, please see our online advising and drop-in advising calendar.

When booking please keep in mind the following:

  • You must bring your SFU Student ID
  • You can apply for a drop-in time no earlier than thirty minutes before the start of the drop-in advising period.


  • You are not guaranteed a drop-in time.
  • Each student's eligibility for a drop-in time will be determined by the Academic Advisor.
  • If there are more students than available drop-in times, a random draw may be held.
  • Drop-in times are subject to change without notice.

Option 3: Book an Appointment

Phone 778.782.6930

To ensure that you see the right advisor for your needs, please consult the following and request that you be booked with either a Special, Student or Professional Academic Advisor as appropriate:

See a Special Advisor (retired SFU faculty member) if you wish to discuss:

  • academic difficulty
  • academic standing and continuance (OAP, CAP, RTW)
  • withdrawals under extenuating circumstances (WE)
  • readmission after being required to withdraw

See a Student Advisor (3rd/4th year peer advisor) if you wish to discuss:

  • selection of degree(s), program(s), and/or certificate(s) *
  • program admission for undeclared students and students who wish to change programs **
  • meeting lower division program requirements for a major, minor, or extended minor
  • course selection
  • referrals for resources available around campus (eg, Student Learning Commons,
    Co-op, etc.)

See a professional Academic Advisor if you wish to discuss:

  • any issue or concern you would normally see a Special Advisor and a Student Advisor about
  • pre-law, pre-med, and other professional studies
  • letters of permission
  • course repeats and withdrawals (including withdrawals under extenuating circumstances)

* excluding: upper division questions, graduation, honours, second degrees, and post-baccalaureate diplomas (see the department)
**excluding: Engineering Science, Interactive Arts and Technology, and Contemporary Arts programs (see the department)