Contact Academic Advising
Have you declared a major?
If yes, please see contact information for your program/departmental advisor.
Choose from Three Options:
Please choose from the following three options if you have not declared a major, are a newly admitted student, or are experiencing academic difficulty.
Option 1: Live Help
This is a secure online instant messaging system where you can ask for help just as you would use MSN or Yahoo Messenger. Currently, our LiveHelp hours are:
- Monday-Friday: 9am-10:30am and 1:30pm-3:00pm
- Saturday: 9am-10:30am
Please see our online advising and drop-in advising calendar for a full schedule.
Click here to go to LiveHelp.
Option 2: Drop-in Advising
Got a quick question to ask? Fifteen minute appointment times are available at the following locations:
- Student Central (Not available in November).
- Surrey Advising Centre for underclared students with quick program and course planning questions
Note: For specific dates and times, please see our online advising and drop-in advising calendar.
When booking please keep in mind the following:
- You must bring your SFU Student ID
- You can apply for a drop-in time no earlier than thirty minutes before the start of the drop-in advising period.
- You are not guaranteed a drop-in time.
- Each student's eligibility for a drop-in time will be determined by the Academic Advisor.
- If there are more students than available drop-in times, a random draw may be held.
- Drop-in times are subject to change without notice.
Option 3: Book an Appointment
See a Special Advisor (retired SFU faculty member) if you wish to discuss:
- academic difficulty
- academic standing and continuance (OAP, CAP, RTW)
- withdrawals under extenuating circumstances (WE)
- readmission after being required to withdraw
See a Student Advisor (3rd/4th year peer advisor) if you wish to discuss:
- selection of degree(s), program(s), and/or certificate(s) *
- program admission for undeclared students and students who wish to change programs **
- meeting lower division program requirements for a major, minor, or extended minor
- course selection
- referrals for resources available around campus (eg, Student Learning Commons,
See a professional Academic Advisor if you wish to discuss:
- any issue or concern you would normally see a Special Advisor and a Student Advisor about
- pre-law, pre-med, and other professional studies
- letters of permission
- course repeats and withdrawals (including withdrawals under extenuating circumstances)
* excluding: upper division questions, graduation, honours, second degrees, and post-baccalaureate diplomas (see the department)
**excluding: Engineering Science, Interactive Arts and Technology, and Contemporary Arts programs (see the department)