Before contacting an advisor, please read through the information on this page.

There are a lot of FAQs, helpful tips, and resources – we might just be able to answer your question right now! If you’ve read through this page and still have questions, please contact an SCA advisor.

SCA Advisors are available Monday to Friday, from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. You can reach them by email, by scheduling an advising appointment, or by an in-person drop-in visit.


Please include your full name and student number in your email.

Allow up to three business days for a response. Please do not re-send your email, or email the same question to multiple people, as it further delays response times.

  • Prospective Students and First Year SCA Students: Please contact Aimee Rigor, the SCA New Student Advisor/Recruiter, at
  • Continuing SCA Students: Please contact Alex Brzezinski, the SCA Undergraduate Advisor, at

Advising appointments

Advising appointments by video conference (Zoom) can be scheduled using Advisor Link.

In-person advising appointments are available by email request (masks encouraged).

Drop-in advising hours can be found on Advisor Link.

LiveChat advising

LiveChat advising hours are Wednesdays from 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM and 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM. You can access LiveChat through Advisor Link.


Fall 2023 Course updates

All Students

  • SCA Internship and Practicum courses will not be offered in Fall 2023 (CA 306, 307, 406, 407)

  • CA 171 will no longer be offered going forward (see below for substitution details) 

  • CA 276 enrollment will be by instructor permission this Fall. Please email by July 14 if you are interested in taking the course. Do not send multiple emails. Students will be told by July 21 if they have a seat in the course.  

Production & Design students

  • Production & Design students who haven’t taken CA 171 should take CA 174 as a substitute

  • CA 276 can be used as a substitute towards CA 150, the lower division Dance requirement (one of 120, 124, 129) or the lower division Visual Art requirement (one of 160, 161)

Dance students

CA 174 can be used towards the following Dance requirements:

  • “Six additional units in lower division CA courses outside of dance from CA 149, 150, 160, 170, 171”

  • “Three additional units in lower division CA courses outside of dance from CA 150, 160, 170, 171”

Theatre & Performance students

Please watch the Town Hall video that James Long sent on June 27, 2023. It covers a lot of enrollment information for current students and the new curriculum.

Fall 2023 Curriculum Changes

Fall 2023 changes impact current students in:

  • Theatre (Production & Design) Major / Honours

  • Theatre (Performance Stream) Major / Honours

  • Theatre Extended Minor

The above programs have curriculum changes coming into effect in Fall 2023.

Your requirements for graduation will not change with the new curriculum changes. Each student has a requirement term associated with their degree, which locks in their graduation requirements. More information on requirement terms can be found here. Your requirement term can be found in your APR.

Students always have the option of updating their requirement term, if the new curriculum is a better fit for them. This is not an automatic process. Any students who want to switch to the new curriculum will need to email (include your name and student number in the email).

What will be impacted by these curriculum changes is course availability. Please see the course updates above for more information on alternative courses and substitutions.


When should I enroll?

Your enrollment appointment is emailed to your SFU email account two weeks before the start of enrollment. Courses fill up quickly. We recommend enrolling / adding yourself to the waitlist on your enrollment date to avoid disappointment.  

Please review before you enroll:

What courses should I enroll in?

Step 1

Review your Academic Progress Report (APR) and your Advising Transcript, which are helpful course planning tools. Follow the hyperlinks for instructions on how to access these documents!

Step 2

Check goSFU and / or mySchedule to see what courses will be offered in the upcoming semester.


  • Read the class notes, which have important information on reserved seats

  • You can review courses (prerequisites, course descriptions,  and course outlines) and program requirements in the Fall 2023 calendar (follow the hyperlinks!)

  • Need to take a WQB (Writing, Quantitative and Breadth) course? Check out the WQB FAQ!

  • Need upper division elective credit? You can look at the CA courses available, or a list of options from other departments can be found here!

Step 3

Put together a course plan for the semester.

Step 4

If you still have questions about course planning, contact an SCA advisor – bring your course plan to review!

I need to take WQB course – can you recommend any courses?

We advise students to choose WQB courses that they would be interested in taking – but which courses specifically? That’s up to you! To make the search a bit easier, here’s a helpful tip:

You can filter for WQB courses in goSFU: Class Search > Additional Search Criteria > WQB Designation

  • Remember to select the upcoming Term under “Term”

  • We recommend searching specifically for "All Breadth Social Science," “All Quantitative,” etc., so you see the most course options 

  • In Additional Search Criteria, you can also filter for "Mode of Instruction" (e.g., Distance Education) and "Campus" (e.g., Vancouver)

Please make sure to review SFU’s WQB requirements and SCA’s rules around CA courses and Breadth requirements

I have a time conflict between courses – what do I do?

If there is a time conflict between courses, students must get approval from both instructors. Here’s what you do:

  1. Come up with a plan on how you will make-up the missed class time and assignments (e.g., watch the recorded lecture, present your project first if you need to leave early, etc.)
  2. Email both course instructors with the plan – even if your plan only impacts one of the classes, both, instructors need to know about the conflict in case the plan ever has to be changed
  3. If both instructors approve the plan, ask them to email the SCA Undergraduate Advisor directly at with their approval 
I don’t have the prerequisites or meet the seat reserves for a course

Course Reserves

Many departments reserve enrollment in some courses for their Major / Minor students. Some courses do not move to open enrollment and so are inaccessible to students not enrolled in that particular Major / Minor.  

If you don’t meet the seat reserves for a course:

  • Check the course notes – some seats are only reserved until open enrollment

  • If the reserves will lift at open enrollment, join the course waitlist and keep an eye on your waitlist position


If you don’t have the prerequisites for a course:

  • Email the instructor directly to ask if it’s possible to enroll without the prerequisites

  • If they approve your request, ask them to Cc the SCA Undergraduate Advisor at in their reply (make sure your student number is included in the email)

  • If you are emailing an instructor about a course outside CA, ask them to Cc the advisor for that department in their reply


Sometimes the answer will be “no.” Make sure to enroll in a back-up course. Some classes will remain reserved and / or prerequisites will remain required.


SCA advisors cannot enroll students in courses offered by other departments or waive pre-requisites for their courses. Check the website of department offering the course for more information on their registration policies (and see the next FAQ).

I can’t get into a class from another department – can you help me?

SCA advisors can only help with CA classes. If you can’t get into a class from another department, please contact the advisor for that department. A list of advisors can be found here.

I was blocked from enrolling in a class – how do I fix it?

Here are some common reasons why students are blocked from enrolling or waitlisting in courses. This includes being blocked from moving from the waitlist into a class. You can check all of these in your goSFU account:

  • you have or will be enrolled in more than 18 units (maximum enrollment limit per term is 18 units)

  • you have or will be wait listed for more than 8 units (maximum wait list limit per term is 8 units)

  • you do not have the prerequisites or meet the seat reserves (see Prerequisites and Seat Reserves FAQ)

  • there is a time conflict with your enrolled course (see Time Conflicts FAQ)

  • you have an outstanding tuition balance or financial hold  (see instructions on paying tuition, and if you have any questions about the charges contact SFU Student Accounts)

Still not sure why you were blocked? Follow these steps:

  1. If you are blocked from enrolling, an error message will come up telling you what went wrong. Take a screenshot of it

  2. Email the following to the screenshot, the course number, and your student number 

  3. We will look into why you were blocked from enrolling. Please keep in mind, the SCA office gets a lot of emails during enrollment - we will get to your email as soon as possible, but please allow 3-4 business days for a reply.

I had to waitlist for a class – what now?

If a class is full you can still put yourself on a wait-list if one exists. You can monitor your enrollment and waitlist positions via goSFU. Wait lists run until the first week of class, after that the wait list is visible but not running. Wait lists are removed at the beginning of week three.  

To monitor your waitlist position in goSFU: Student Centre > Enrollment Activity (under “Other Academic” dropdown menu)


SCA wait-lists are needs based, not first-come-first-serve.


We recommend joining a tutorial section with the least number of students on the wait list. By doing so, it may increase your chances of getting into a course – space must be available in both the tutorial and lecture for you to enroll in a course. Your tutorial wait list position determines if you can get into a course.

I’d like to do a Directed Study – how do I get started?

Directed Studies Proposal guidelines and online form can be found on the SCA website HERE.

Other course enrollment resources

SFU Help Videos – if you need a refresher on how to search, browse, or enroll in classes.

My Schedule and goSFU – use to prepare enrollment plans and add / drop / swap classes.

Room Finder – if you’re looking for a class at SFU Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, you will need to put "GCA" before the room number

SFU Student Services Enrollment support – help with how to add / drop / swap classes, terminology, enrollment appointment, etc.


International Students

SFU International Student Advising – contact them with any questions about your student permit and post-grad work permit application.

International Student resources – social connections, study permit advising, awards, medical insurance, welcome guides, etc.

Indigenous Students

SFU Indigenous Student Centre – a welcoming and inclusive space for Indigenous students to study, network, and access additional supports, such as academic success resources, health support, counselling, and more.

Nicole Manson, the Indigenous Academic and Student Liaison in the Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology (which the SCA is part of), can be reached by email at or by phone at (778) 782-5795.

Health and Counselling

Health & Counselling  – doctor appointments, counselling services, emergency numbers, and health and wellbeing resources, etc.

Download My SSP App – provides real-time, 24/7 access to professional counsellors, as well as scheduled short-term counselling support

Office of Student Supports, Rights and Responsibilities – students can find out about their responsibilities and rights as members of the SFU community, and learn about the supports available to them.

Financial Aid and Awards Advising

SFU Financial Aid & Awards – scholarships, awards, bursaries, student loan questions, etc.

More financial planning resources can be found at mysfuplan

Academic Accommodations and Concessions

Centre for Accessible Learning (CAL) – academic accommodations for short- or long-term disabilities (physical and mental health, learning disabilities)

Academic concessions  – granted when unexpected situations or circumstances prevent students from participating in course-related activities, which could include missing a class, or completing graded work or exams. 

Situations or circumstances that may call for an academic concession include illness, accident, family situation, and similar unanticipated changes in personal responsibilities that create a conflict, or warrant particular compassion.

Concessions are normally granted at the discretion of individual instructors and / or in accordance with established departmental or Faculty policies and procedures. Students should always speak to their instructor as a first step.

Find out more HERE.

Academic Difficult and Course Withdrawal Under Extenuating Circumstances (WE)

If you are having difficulty with your SFU courses, there are resources available to help you:

  • Withdrawal Under Extenuating Circumstances (WE) – If you are faced with circumstances beyond your control that negatively impact your ability to complete your coursework, you may qualify for a Withdrawal Under Extenuating Circumstances

Field School and Study Abroad Advising

Information for students interested in International Exchange programs, Fields Schools, and short-term summer programs can be found HERE.

Information about the SCA Berlin Field School can be found HERE.


Declaring an SCA program 

Majors and Extended Minors

Program entry for all levels for Dance, Film, Music & Sound, Theatre & Performance, Production & Design, and Visual Art BFAs is by questionnaire and audition, interview, or portfolio. Depending on the program area, the audition, interview, or portfolio review will occur from February to April. The application process is the same for the major and extended minor.

Program entry for the Art, Performance and Cinema Studies BA program is by questionnaire.  

Click HERE  for further application details and deadlines.


Students can apply to the SCA Minor programs after completing the following entry requirements – email the SCA Undergraduate Advisor at to declare a minor.

  • Art and Performance Studies Minor – after completing 6 units of CA 117, 118, 210W, or 217 and achieving a minimum 2.5 Contemporary Arts CGPA and a 2.0 CGPA.

  • Contemporary Arts Minor – after completing 6 lower division units of CA courses (any courses) and achieving a CGPA of 2.5 or higher.

  • Cinema Studies Minor – after completing 6 units of CA 136, 137 or 186 and achieving a minimum 2.5 Contemporary Arts CGPA and a 2.0 CGPA.


To declare an SCA Honours program, students must: 

  • be accepted to the related SCA major

  • meet the GPA requirements for an honours program (3.00 or higher in your CGPA, UDGPA, and CA overall and upper division GPAs), and 

  • receive approval from the Program Area

** Note that some SCA Honours programs have higher GPA requirements. Please check the calendar page for the program for details.

If you meet these requirements and would like to declare an Honours program, email the SCA Undergraduate Advisor at Your request will be sent to the Area for review.  

Below are the graduation requirements for an SFU Honours degree:

Apply to graduate

Find the graduation checklist, schedules, and deadlines HERE. Make sure to read the graduation checklist FAQs.

More information about the Convocation Ceremony can be found HERE. Make sure to read the convocation FAQs.

SCA Undergraduate Transfer Credit Form

If you are bringing transfer credit to SFU and would like it to be reviewed to see if it can apply to your SCA undergraduate program requirements, please fill out the online form HERE.

Please keep in mind SFU’s Residency Requirements which limit the amount of transfer credit(s) that can be applied towards a program and a degree.

SCA Academic Continuance Policy

All SCA student GPA levels will be evaluated at the end of each academic year, normally at the end of the Spring semester. A student who falls below the required cumulative GPA in CA courses of 2.67 will be notified of their probation status as a major with a limited time to adjust their CA GPA.  

Students will need to meet with the Area Coordinator and Advisor and plan their academic career for either re-establishing the Major or pursuing an FCAT BA with a double minor program.  

If the student does not bring the cumulative GPA in CA courses to 2.67 in the allotted time, he/she will be dropped from the major. If the student is in first or second year of study within the major and falls below the required cumulative GPA in CA courses of 2.67, the student will have two semesters to bring up their average to 2.67. If the student is in third year of their major, they will have one semester to bring their average to 2.67.  

Students who lose their status as a major in the SCA will have the option of pursuing the extended minor as part of the double minor BA option in FCAT, or via other options in the university.


How to access your transcript

Instructions on downloading your Advising Transcript can be found HERE.  

Instructions on how to order an Official Transcript can be found HERE

SFU ID cards, U-Pass, forms, custom letter requests, university policies, etc.

Visit an SFU Registrar and Information Services office for help with these – and much more!

If you have any questions about your U-Pass, see the U-Pass BC page for support.

Academic Calendar

Find the Academic Calendar HERE – contains program requirements and course information, and also has link to archived terms.

Term Dates and Deadlines

Find the important Dates & Deadlines calendar HERE, which contains important dates for students that can be added to your Connect calendar, including course add / drop / swap, tuition refund and payment, graduation application, etc.  

Academic Integrity

All students are expected to comply with the policies of the university. Students should familiarize themselves with SFU’s Academic Integrity policy and with policy S10.02 (Student Academic Integrity Policy) so they understand what Academic Honesty is and how it is defined by SFU.

Other helpful resource pages