Who can declare a Minor in Public Policy?  Do I have to be a Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences student?

Undergraduates across all SFU faculties can apply to the Minor in Public Policy. Students may apply for admission into the minor once they have completed the core lower division courses for their concentration and have achieved a CGPA of at least 2.0. Students must also meet SFU’s residency requirement, completing at least half of their overall units at SFU.

How many courses are required to receive the Minor in Public Policy?

The minor requires 30 units with an expected completion time of 16 months. All students must complete three core courses (PLCY 200, 300 and 400), and can then build an individualized pathway for the remaining units tailored around their interests. Students choose one of two areas of concentration and complete all the requirements as specified in SFU’s Academic Calendar, which must include a minimum of 30 unit. For a course to be accepted in the Minor, a grade of C- or higher must be obtained


The Minor in Public Policy opens the door for graduate study in a variety of fields, including public policy, political science, criminology, sociology, economics, public health and business. Graduates would be well-positioned for an MA or PhD program in any of these fields.

Also, they are well-positioned for work in the public service, as well as private and non-profit sectors requiring a regulatory or policy background. The Technology and Innovation Policy concentration also equips students for professional careers in the technology industry requiring a policy background.