- About Joy
- Dr. Yabome Gilpin-Jackson named SFU’s first Vice-President, People, Equity and Inclusion
- Chris (Syeta’xtn) Lewis joins SFU in advisory role on Indigenous Initiatives and Reconciliation
- A World of Difference: How universities must evolve in a post-COVID world
- Russian invasion of Ukraine
- SFU: What's Next?
- Welcome new SFU students
- UPDATED Jan. 6: My response to Dec. 11 event in SFU dining hall
- Celebrating Black History Month
- The University’s Role and Contributions to a Just Recovery Over the Next Decade
- Inspired by meetings with SFU Faculty and Staff
- Looking forward to Summer and Fall
- Opinion: This is why SFU is backing the Burnaby Mountain gondola
- External Review of December 11, 2020 Event
- Facing the future with hope
- President's statement on TransMountain Expansion Project and support for a fire hall on Burnaby mountain
- The road ahead
- Stronger Together: SFU, the pandemic and lessons for a better future
- SFU to observe moment of silence at 2:15 PM today
- Taking action: Reconciliation at SFU
- Join SFU President Joy Johnson for a tour of Burnaby campus
- Message from the President: Residential school findings
- Dr. June Francis appointed Special Advisor to the President on Anti-Racism
- My response to the open letter from SFU faculty and staff
- Resources and ways to support scholars in Afghanistan
- BC Vaccine Card
- Masks required on all SFU campuses, vaccine card required for residence, athletics, dining, events and others
- Vaccine declaration and follow-up screening at SFU
- Return to campus planning updates
- Welcome Back
- Work to review contract vs. in-house cleaning and food services
- National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- SFU and SFSS united in commitment to climate action
- Inclusion benefits us all
- Moving forward with kindness
- SFU commits to full divestment from fossil fuels
- Safety on SFU's campuses
- Thank you!
- Temporary shift to remote learning January 10 – 23, 2022
- Statement on academic freedom
- Welcome back faculty and staff
- Welcome back students
- Statement on scholar strike
- Reflections on my first 30 days
- Taking care of ourselves, taking care of each other
- Equity, diversity and inclusion commitments
- Statement on SFU's Athletics Team Name Change
- Finding connection in times of adversity
- Wishing you a safe and restful holiday break
- Op-ed: SFU helping drive social, economic innovation in time of crisis
- President’s Distinguished Community Leadership Award
Dr. June Francis appointed Special Advisor to the President on Anti-Racism
I am pleased to announce that Dr. June Francis will serve as the Special Advisor to the President on Anti-Racism effective June 1 – December 31, 2021.
Dr. Francis is Associate Professor of Marketing in the SFU Beedie School of Business and is the Co-Founder of The Co-Laboratorio project, that works to strengthen cross-sector collaboration, learning and innovation for more inclusive resilient solutions in governance, policies and industry practice. She is also Director of the Institute for Diaspora Research and Engagement at SFU.
June is well-known to the SFU community for her deep expertise in race, racism, diversity, inter-culturality, leadership and participatory engagement approaches with vulnerable and excluded groups. I have relied on June as a personal advisor since I became President of SFU and I am pleased to make the position formal.
In this role, June will offer me advice and guidance on matters of anti-racism and institutional change with a focus on anti-Black racism as well as equity, diversity and inclusion. Working toward a more inclusive SFU is one of my priorities as president, and I rely on experts such as June to help identify the path forward and hold me accountable to progress.
I extend my gratitude to June for accepting this commitment and for the lasting impact she continues to have both within SFU and within the broader community.