Mitchell Stoddard, PhD. R. Psych - Director, Centre for Accessible Learning (Chair of Committee)
John Briggs - Facilities Management
Frances Dodd - Library Services
Laura Barnette- Environmental Health and Safety
James Atamanchuk - SFU Vancouver, Harbour Centre
Mike Spencer - Campus Security
Marie Brunelle - Director, Human Rights and Equity
TBD - Student representatives (2) and Alumni (1)
Terms of Reference
The mandate of the Physical Access Advisory Committee is to make Simon Fraser University a barrier-free university. This goal is accomplished through planning, prioritizing, and recommending projects and activities in support of access.
The Physical Access Advisory Committee reports to the President via the Equity Officer.
- To serve as a resource to the University on issues related to physical access
- To make recommendations regarding access standards to be followed by the University
- To determine access upgrade requirements through reviews of physical access audits of the University
- To develop short and long-term plans to address barriers to physical access, including establishing upgrade priorities on an annual basis
- To assist in preparation of reports for government or other funding sources
- To act as an advocacy group for access issues at Simon Fraser University
Some members of the committee serve by virtue of their positions at the University and others represent the constituencies of people with disabilities. The employee representative, the student representatives and the alumni representative are appointed for two year terms.
- One representative from the Equity Office
- One representative from the Centre for Accessible Learning
- One representative from Facilities Management
- One representative from Occupational Health & Safety
- One representative from Campus Security
- One representative from Harbour Centre campus
- Two SFU students with disabilities
- One SFU employee with a disability
- One alumni with a disability
Meetings are called by the chair, with a minimum of one meeting scheduled each academic term.
The Chair will be elected by the committee for a two-year term.