Requirements: What do I need to do in Term One of the Back on Track Program?
Before you join
1. Attend an Information Session (1- 1.5 hrs) You can sign up through our New Intake Information page.
2. Follow the instructions in the Next Steps email that the BOT program office will send to you after you have completed your Information Session. This email will give you access to:
- Review and sign the online Student Agreement
- Book an Intake appointment (1 hr)
Once you have completed your Intake appointment and submitted your Student Agreement, you will need to complete the following components.
Please note that you will not take any courses for credit in Term One.
Cohort Components (Group Sessions)
Getting Started Session (2 hrs)
- Complete the Learning and Study Strategies Inventory (LASSI).
- Complete a self-assessment developed specifically for BOT students.
- Meet other students who are also in your cohort.
Engaging in your Career Development: Career Session Part 1 (2 hrs)
- The following career themes are explored: uncertainty and questioning; knowing yourself; planned happenstance; personal influences; and choice.
Engaging in your Career Development: Career Session Part 2 (2 hrs)
- Contemplate certain occupations, and general career options and curiosities incorporating the themes from Part 1.
- Tips on how to take action in order to move forward with your career decision making process.
Additional Components (if required)
International Students Event (2-2.5 hrs) (international students only)
- All international students are required to attend this session.
- Participate in activities to help better adapt to learning at SFU and connect with other international students.
English Writing Assessment (1.5 hrs)
- Recommendation is made by the BOT advisor at Intake Appointment
- Based on the results of this assessment, you may be required to complete additional English programming.
SFU International Advisor meeting (international students only)
- Review the policies surrounding study permits/visas and assess the ways in which your participation in the program might impact them.
Learning Plan Appointment with Learning Specialist (1 hr)
- 1-on-1 appointment with a learning specialist at the Student Learning Commons.
- Review the assessments from the Getting Started Session.
- Develop a plan involving your commitment to access certain services and resources that would be the most immediately useful to you.
Term One (BOT 110) Canvas Course (7 – 10 hrs)
- Course Planning Module
- Understanding & Avoiding Plagiarism Module
- Term One Reflection Module
Term One of the Back on Track program costs $422.31.
End of Back on Track Term One and Continuation
If you have successfully completed all the requirements for Term One, you are now eligible to continue on to Term Two.
You will need to enroll in your approved courses and BOT 120 before the first day of classes of Term Two.