US Student Resources

US undergraduate and graduate students requiring financial assistance have several options to explore while studying at Simon Fraser University (SFU).

US students are eligible to apply for a variety of SFU Financial Aid Programs (bursaries, scholarships, awards, and/or Work-Study).

SFU is an approved Title IV institution. Students from the US and their parents may apply for assistance through the U.S. Department of Education's office of Federal Student Aid (FSA) through the Federal Direct Loan Program. Foreign schools do not participate in the U.S. Department of Education's Grant Programs. You will not be able to obtain a US Grant while attending SFU.

Private education loans (SallieMae Smart Option or any other US private lender) can be used by families to help pay the cost to attend college when other financial aid is not enough.

If you are a US Veteran or Veteran’s dependent entitled to Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits under the GI Bill, then you will be able to claim those benefits if you enroll at SFU in a VA approved program.

If you are a dual citizen of Canada and the United States, you may be eligible to apply for loan(s) through both the Canadian (with the exception of the Ontario Student Assistance Program) and US government. We recommend that you explore opportunities through the Canada Student Loans program first. Contact Financial Aid and Awards for more information.

The US Federal Direct Loan Application package is available here.

Undergraduate Student Financial Resources

Graduate Student Financial Resources