- About Us
- Equity & Inclusion
- Interviewing 101
- Effective Intercultural Communication
- Job Search Success
- English as an Additional Language
- Indigenous Co-op Blog ↗
- Accessibility Resource
- iBelong ↗
- Find Support ↗
- Contact Us
- Other Opportunities
- Grants and Awards
- Giveaways and Activities
Funded by the Government of Canada's Innovative Work-Integrated Learning Initiative through CEWIL's iHUB Project
Why choose AKU's Virtual Internship Programme?
The Aga Khan University’s Virtual Internship Program (AKU-VIP) provides you with a one-of-a-kind virtual placement to build valuable skills and enhance your cross-cultural competencies through work opportunities with diverse teams in more than 14 countries.
*No international travel is required, students can work remotely from home.
The placements are offered remotely with AKU offices in East Africa, South and Central Asia, Europe and North America with the international development agencies of The Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN).
The programs aim to provide a critical learning opportunity that goes beyond simple work experience and instead focuses on thinking outside of the box, developing strong leadership skills, being critically reflexive, and learning new ways of doing things in new environments.
The CEWIL iHUB Grant will provide financial funding to support 20 SFU students in AKU VIP placements.
Reasons to apply:
- Help provide solutions to real world projects
- Receive one on one mentorship support from AKU supervisors
- Receive professional reference letters
- Gain international learning experience and grow your Linkedin Network
- Work in a professional virtual environment outside of the classroom
- AKU registration fees ($1,100 CDN) covered by CEWIL iHUB Grant
- Additional financial funding to students provided by SFU WIL ($2,300 CDN) and CEWIL iHUB Grant ($200 CDN)
Students eligible for CEWIL iHUB funding include individuals who are:
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and, are legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Registered in post-secondary institution.
- Students approved for funding will be required to register for SFU Summer 2021 WIL/Co-op practicum and complete all requirements. Further instructions will be given once students have secured an AKU VIP placement.
Things to Consider Before Applying
Have good academic standing (2.5+ CGPA)
Able to commit at least ~20 hours a week (June-August)
- Open to work with flexible time zones
- Financial funding to students provided by SFU WIL ($2,300 CDN) & CEWIL iHUB Grant ($200 CDN) and AKU registration fees covered ($1,100 CDN)
Round 1: May 20th, 2021
Round 2: Applicants received after May 20th for available positions will be considered on a rolling basis. (First come, first serve)
How does the process work?
- Submit application form below to verify eligibility for CEWIL iHUB financial funding
- Go to AKU VIP website and learn more about the current internship placements
- Choose position(s) you are interested in on AKU VIP website and click on Apply Now (located at bottom of the page)
- Register (top right corner) on the AKU VIP website in order to submit your application
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org once you have applied indicating position(s) applied for
Applicants are encouraged to apply for multiple positions if interested. Students will need to submit seperate applications for each position.
Funding Disbursement - Upon approval of application, securing of an AKU VIP placement, and WIL/Co-op practicum registration:
- The AKU Registration Fee ($1100) will be paid by the CEWIL iHUB grant
- The student will receive the SFU WIL award ($2,300 CDN) which will be disbursed during the practicum into student's SFU account.
- The CEWIL iHUB Grant ($200 CDN) will be disbursed into student's SFU account upon successful completion of practicum and required CEWIL iHUB student exit surveys.
Have questions? Please email email@example.com