- News & Events
- Student Life
- Programs in French
Become a teacher. Choose French.
Qualified French teachers are in extremely high demand in all the French programs in British Columbia (Core French, French Immersion and Francophone Program).
Why teach French or in French?
- Complete the program in French and open the door to the start of a challenging and rewarding career
- Become a part of a passionate and engaged community training and inspiring future generations
- Study in French and get access to bursaries. Teach in French and get access to professional development opportunities designed for French teachers.
- Help convey the vitality of the national and international Francophonie!
Why choose SFU?
SFU's Faculty of Education is renowned for the quality of its programs. Professional Programs offers a unique differentiated or complementary staffing model which teams tenure track Education Faculty with seconded, highly effective teachers selected from school districts throughout the province. The programs combine theory and practice adapted to today's classrooms.
Student teachers who successfully complete the programs are recommended to the Teacher Regulation Branch of the BC Ministry of Education for a Teaching Certificate.
The French Module of the Professional Development Program prepares you to teach in the French programs in BC elementary and secondary schools:
- Core French / French as a Second Language (FSL): Teach a French class in the English programs
- French Immersion: Teach French and other teachable subjects in French
- Francophone Program: Teach French and other teachable subjects in French in schools belonging to the Francophone School District or Conseil scolaire francophone (CSF)
Resources and programs in French to meet the academic requirements for admission to the Teacher Education Professional Programs.
The program is made up of a combination of practical experiences and professional coursework which integrate the understanding of grand educational theories and the application of pedagogical practices in the classroom.
This program is designed for paraprofessionals, student support workers, para-educations (social workers, counsellors, settlement workers), adult educations, independent teachers, Early Childhood Educators (ECE trained teachers) and trades, technical and Francophone teachers operating on letters of permission.