- Program Leads
- About us
- Get involved
Programs & events
- CommuniCreate (virtual)
- Tutoring, Homework and English Support (in-person)
- Book Buddies (in-person)
- Bridge Program (in-person)
- Central City Learning Garden (on-site)
- Connect Through Homework & Reading (in-person)
- Empower The Future
- English Conversation Groups (virtual)
- Entrepreneurship Programs (Virtual)
- Homework Club
- Learning Buddies (virtual & in-person)
- Mentoring with Math (virtual & in-person)
- Our Place Summer Camp
- Pathways to Education
- Racing Readers
- YMCA Youth Leadership Development Program
- Canada SCORES (in-person)
- Empower MEdia (in-person)
- Photo gallery
- Active programs
- Featured Reads
- Volunteer Info Hub
- Contact us
- Volunteer now
Empower MEdia (in-person)
Empowering children with the skills they need to become lifelong digital citizens.
The SFU Surrey – TD Community Engagement Centre has partnered with the Surrey School District Community School’s Partnership Department to develop and implement “Empower MEdia”, an after-school program focusing on digital citizenship for kids in grades 5-7 from A.H.P. Matthew, Cindrich and Betty Huff Elementary schools. This project is being supported by a grant from CIRA’s Community Investment Program.
In an increasingly digital world where children and youth are expected to use digital tools for purposes of education, information, social connection, and entertainment, digital citizenship education is of vital importance to empower and protect young people online. The Empower MEdia program will engage students in grades 5-7 with important topics on digital citizenship in ways that encourage creativity, exploration, acquisition of new knowledge and empowerment. Topics may include but are not limited to: health and well-being online, privacy, safety, digital footprint, digital commerce, identity, relationships, communication/etiquette, cyberbullying, news/media literacy and social media wellness.
The no-cost after-school program will be run at a local elementary school in Surrey BC, where children in grades 5-7 will engage with Simon Fraser University students and Surrey School District staff in a fun, informative, and supportive environment.
The program will be run once per week for two hours over a period of 8 weeks. We will offer two iterations of the program, from January – March, 2023 and from April – June, 2023.
Once tested, the program curriculum and activities will be packaged and shared on the SFU Surrey – TD CEC website and through partner networks to mobilize the knowledge.
- Apply for current volunteer/work positions
- Join the Community Engagement Volunteer training program
- Subscribe to our email newsletter
- Email us at: email@example.com
Interested in our programs & events?
Partner with us:
- For partnership, please contact Rachel Nelson or call 778.782.8082